• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Fan Clearance

Westex

So I got my new radiator in and noticed when I turn the fan blade, it contacted the upper tank of the radiator. So I adjusted the upper bracket to angle the top of the radiator forward, and no more contact, but the clearance looks to be about one quarter to three eights of an inch. Is this good, or am I missing something. Concerned about bumps and what not. And by the way, I am now a new member of the "I hate the lower radiator hose position" fan club.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you replace the rubber pads on the mounting studs? Might want to add more thickness there, to raise it(center the fan blade in the opening). I make mine out of mudflaps(found on the highway).

Westex

I was afraid you guys would come back with that answer; this means I got to pull the whole thing back off and go to cutting up mud flaps. Wondering if I can leave the lower hose on and lift it up on its bottom studs?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you can leave the lower hose on, but the top one will have to come off(too stiff).

Westex

Doghead, it was either you or Recovry that suggested you could easier attach the radiator hose with the radiator leaning forward. I kind of did that while it was going in and it made things easier, but I found you have to really be careful of the winch hinge thing aft of the winch damaging the front of the radiator. I have 2 deuces, both down because of radiator issues, but purchased 2 new radiators from members here. Good trick is to put cardboard on the truck as the radiator slides in. Both radiators that came out had damage right where that little hinge plate is, which is what caused the leak. Proud to say so far, I dropped the new one in on the keeper truck with nary a scratch.

Westex

A follow up post here for future reference. One of the questions I presented in this thread was whether or not you could jack up the radiator with the lower hose still connected so you could add shims (mudflap material or whatever) to the lower studs. The answer is yes. I did loosen the lower radiator hose clamp all the way on the radiator side. The fan does have to come off and out to do this operation. I used my trusty Mexican made Stanley Fat Max crowbar to do it. Saved me from having to completely remove the radiator. Again.

Truck runs cooler, and from the temp guage, I can tell it's a whole lot more efficient. It's been flushed with distilled water twice, pumped full of Fleet Charge coolant, and ready for the hot summer. Yee Hah!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks