• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Fan Shut off

Dabba

Take it from someone who already beat the **** out of their truck, sooner or later it's going to cost you. I'm not saying don't have fun with it (my truck has been dunked, dented and cab flooded, stuck numerous times) but it's also not my only ride, and i had to pay to repair what i couldnt fix in my driveway. It also wasnt mint when I got it, and i wanted the m1008 for the beefier stuff. If the cucv is your only ride, I'd stick to very light wheeling. I dont have the time or money to even replace the seals in my dana 60, and I dont want to repack bearings anymore, so I quit, even with a reliable DD. That said, I learned my truck is better used as a light wheeling and recovery vehicle haha

dependable

I was looking today at another thread about adding a snorkel to a 1009. The fan question came up there too. I do not see why an electric clutch of some sort could not be rigged. An AC clutch would not be strong enough, but I had one that ran the hydraulics for a 12 yard sander off the front of a Mack. Also, the larger commercial lawn mowers use an electric clutch running (3) mower blades. It would be important to remember to re engage it when finished fording. I could add to the lectures about the wisdom of beating in your daily driver, you will shorten its life, but I did a lot of stupid things when I was a kid as well.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, it's theoretically possible, and probably doable, but at what cost?

And then you have another mechanism to go bad when it gets full of muddy water.

I think if you were doing mud racing professionally, it might be worth the cost and trouble to engineer something like that, but for casual off-roading, I think it would be way more trouble than it's worth.

If you make habit of dunking your truck in mud like that, the fan is going to be the least of your worries.

dmilkman589

I really don't get you people... There are threads on here about turning these trucks into a rig, no one tells them not to do this stuff... Also i don't know why ya'll say the k5 isn't good for this. As far as capable wheeling vehicles stock, and vehicles that have the most potential to be complete rigs I'm almost positive the k5 stands just behind the wrangler. I don't know of any other vehicle that is used as much for an off roading rig more than the k5 other than a wrangler. I'm not mad, or irritated or anything I'm just really curious to why everyone thinks its so bad that i take this thing off roading. What better vehicles are there for off roading than a k5? (disregard jeep, that's obvious)

Btw i do have a second vehicle, 1987 Chevy k10. Its back in Albany...

truck.jpg

trukhead

I really don't get you people... There are threads on here about turning these trucks into a rig, no one tells them not to do this stuff... Also i don't know why ya'll say the k5 isn't good for this. As far as capable wheeling vehicles stock, and vehicles that have the most potential to be complete rigs I'm almost positive the k5 stands just behind the wrangler. I don't know of any other vehicle that is used as much for an off roading rig more than the k5 other than a wrangler. I'm not mad, or irritated or anything I'm just really curious to why everyone thinks its so bad that i take this thing off roading. What better vehicles are there for off roading than a k5? (disregard jeep, that's obvious)

Btw i do have a second vehicle, 1987 Chevy k10. Its back in Albany...

View attachment 420508

Don't follow these 4 wheelers in a k5!

Horses in water.

Last edited:

dependable

dmilkman, Nice K-10, had an 83 with a stock 6.2. (died of rust). I will speak for myself in that I look at my CUCVs as only somewhat replaceable. I intend to get years of service out of the ones I have. Am always in the market for a good truck, but more and more the CUCVs you see are abused, hacked up, rusted, or all of the above. The good ones on the market are going for higher $. A lot of the 'nice new trucks' are too full flimsy computer chips and shoddy programing that I will never understand.

I would guess that most of the guys giving you grief suspect (and probably correctly, having seen another of your threads) that you aren't doing the maint or repairs to sustain this truck long term as off road vehicle. Back in the late 70s I drove a Willys MB. I knew it was cool, but I did not realize what I had.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

I would take a M1008 over a M1009 wheeling anyday. If you are so inclined to kill your M1009 wheeling, I say go for it. But make sure you have your K10 to drive when the Cucv gremlins show up.

Dabba

Aye, I sold my civy k5 for the m1008 because I wanted something I knew would last through some mild wheeling and punishment, and so far it hasnt let me down. But everything has a limit. I wouldnt be pounding on the blazer that hard, the cucv isnt really much stronger than the civilian one

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheeling and mudding are two different things. What do you define wheeling as?

Water and metal have a love hate relationship.

Dabba

Right and civilian k5's are used for wheeling all the time arnt they? k5Colorado forum
Do you see how often people break **** on their stock k5s? There's a reason people are always swapping in 1 tons in place of the 10 bolts. Same goes for the th400 or 465 over the 700r4. Theres also a reason they call the rear posi in the m1009 a gov bomb. They are capable trucks for sure but for the stuff you seem to be doing, prepare for things to start failing, even if you were dumping time and money into PM. I did the same stuff as you and my K5 didnt last very long, which is why i sold it before it blew up. I'm only 26, take it from someone whos been there. I also did this with the luxury of having a DD, so when the truck was sitting for 1-3 months until i could afford to fix it, or get around to it, I wasnt stranded. Wheeling is fine, just start saving or learning how to do the upkeep on the truck.

Cucvnut

Mudding is not wheeling, I took my M1008 on the Rubicon trail, I have seen what the Rubicon does to a close to stock k5 blazer with a lift vs a M1008 with a lift. I had zero problems on the Con the k5 was not as lucky. I also have had to tow a friends k5 off the con because the k5 has a weaker frame and even though his truck had hydro assist steering the steering box still sheared it self off the frame and he could not steer because the frame broke and the k5 has a weaker frame than a k30/M1008 variant truck.

Last edited:

Dabba

If you're doing strictly mudding, I think the k30 varients are way too heavy, even a k5 is too heavy. Ive gotten stuck and no one but a wrecker could get me out. Full size bronco and pathfinder at the same time. Im content to watch and recover others now.

dmilkman589

Cant upgrade until i break stuff. I have to find all her week links to make it the ultimate truck ;)
But out of all honesty i don't think i beat it that bad... Its not like i go trashing through stuff. Ill take it any where but i don't drive it like i stole it. I use low range :D
Next on the list is 33's, 2.5 inch pro comp lift, and a nv4500. Maybe eventually a brace for the steering box...

wayne pick

I'll probably get a warning or a ban for this but, seeing as you rebut most of the good advice that has been given here, you may be more comfortable over at www.coloradoK5.com or www.pirate4x4.com . This site is for the MV, thats Military Vehicle, enthusiast dedicated to the ownership and preservation of these MVs. If you want to build a dedicated mudder or off road rig, thats fine, but if you continue to post how you bent this or ripped off that, you won't get much more advice here. BTW Mr Mechanical Engineer, Your build plan is a bit backwards, The steering box brace goes on before any suspension or tire upgrades.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dmilkman its your truck you paid for it do what you want with it. Just have fun and be careful you can learn a lot by trial and error.

Dabba

I sent him the link to ck5. Wheeling until stuff breaks is fine if you want to risk it, and have the time/money/friends to get yanked out. But I think upgrading and PM before **** breaks is the better way to go.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
He would get killed in pirate.
Yes. Yes he would.

Dodge used a electronically controlled thermal clutch in the cummins powered trucks in the CRD and up trucks. But realistically a CUCV is a terrible vehicle to submerge. They have enough electrical trouble when dry. There's no way I'd take my CUCV and submerge it just with the routine electrical gremlins they have. But to each his own.

If you must go down this path, I recommend picking up a spare 24v starter, a couple alternator rebuild kits from cucvelectric, relocating all the relays up as high as possible in the dash. Disconnect EVERY plug in your CUCV and coat liberally with dielectric grease. Constructing a snorkle for the intake. Extend all the vents to the axles, t-case, and transmission. You'll also need to ensure that your fuel system is air tight as well. Any oil leaks you have now, fix them, as water will flow back into the leaking areas. Also it'd be a good idea to rebuild the front end as they almost always will need new axle and spindle seals.

You're going to have a small fortune in extensive PM work, followed by a small fortune in repairs each time it's submerged. I've played this game before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks