• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Flushing with Cascade Dishwashing Detergent?

Nonotagain

When I was in the Navy we used TSP (trisodium phosphate) to clean our electronic cooling systems, brass/bronze pipes, worked great. I believe recently all phosphates were removed from laundry and dish washing detergents, not sure, but I think the phosphates are what do such a good job cleaning cooling systems.

You can buy TSP at Lowes.
In a lot of areas of the country, TSP is no longer being sold due to the phosphates causing a reduction of sea life.
At least on the east coast, Homedepot and Lowes sells a TSP replacement that is non-phosphated.
I used to use TSP prior to parkerizing and found that good ole TSP wasn't available.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
In a lot of areas of the country, TSP is no longer being sold due to the phosphates causing a reduction of sea life.
At least on the east coast, Homedepot and Lowes sells a TSP replacement that is non-phosphated.
I used to use TSP prior to parkerizing and found that good ole TSP wasn't available.

How do you tell if it's phosphated or un-leaded?

hummer4x4guy

At a grocery store here next to me they have spray bottles and one gallon jugs of stuff called simply "TSP" Ill put it on my grocery list and buy one and see what I can clean with it..

JDToumanian

You can buy TSP at Lowes.
Around here, "TSP" says "Phosphate Free" right on the front of the box.... I was walking past at OSH one day and it caught my eye, I said to my girlfriend, "WTF? How can you have Tri-Sodium PHOSPHATE that is phosphate free?" You used to know what it was, now they only tell you what it ISN'T.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The stuff I have is Savogran and it says: "average elemental phosphorus content 7.3% in the form of phosphates, equivalent to 8.5 grams per cup"

I ad it to the washer and dishwasher, seems to make the stuff come out cleaner and without the white film on everything.

dburd72

As a gm tech when we had problems with head gaskets we used cascade to remove the oil film recently the auto trans cooler's in the H3 have started to leak after replacement I found simple green works just as well just rince well & it does not foam

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks