• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Leak

Chevyman_15237

I just finished repacking the rear wheel bearings and replacing wheel seals in my deuce when I noticed the bottom right corner (If you are facing the truck) of the radiator is wet. Checked the coolant level, I was a gallon low. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do? Spending +$700 for a radiator isn't in the budget, and i'd like to fix it so it lasts more than a month!

Here's what I have came up with so far....

1. Put an egg in it (I am pretty opposed to this idea... eggs are for breakfast)
2. Put pepper in it (Who the **** came up with this one?)
3. Add a stop leak product (I don't want coolant passages clogged, I also want to be able to remove hoses, etc without them being sealed to their attaching parts).
4. Pressure test/solder holes
- I'd probably take it to a rad shop, hopefully it doesnt look like swiss cheese after the pressure test.

Does anyone know of a reputable Radiator repair shop in the Pittsburgh, PA vicinity???

Any suggestions are appreciated........ BTW... HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

cessnatwin

First off check the quality and the quality of the fluid. then you need to try it and see where it is coming from, such as the core to which could be split or maybe just a minor tank leak! Or is dripping down from the cap because you cannot fill them to the top without them pushing some out till they are happy.

If you do have a rotted out core, I would not bother to get another used problem radiator. First try for a repair! A decent radiator shop can build you a new one like I just had done last month for around 400-75 and they are then NEW! You can try a sealer from inside but because of the volume you need a lot of it and I personally do not advise that! Or for temporary purposes try that steel putty that you knead up and push on there it worked for me on a 600 mile trip but I didn't want to trust it any further, but thats up to you and your finances!

DieselBob

I am not keen on "Stop leak" except for short term till I can get it fixed correctly. Any local heavy truck or equipment shop should be able to point you to a good radiator shop in the area.

3rdmdqm

My radiator also had a small leak, but my radiator has many issues. The tube that attaches to the neck rusted out at the filler neck connection and when it wants to get to its happy level it blows fluid out the rusted hole and all over the driver side of the engine compartment. Big mess! And since I have that small round hole cover missing on the side drop panel, it usually shoots all over the fender, mirror and windshield. The other leak I am sure is a pin hole leak in the core somewhere. There are probably blockages also because I have overheating problems occassionally, the symptoms of which are indicative of restricted radiator flow. I used a bottle of stop leak and it DID stop leaking, so it DOES work. Due to the overall age and condition of my radiator and unknown what other problems are getting ready to spawn, I opted for a new radiator which has arrived, I'm just waiting to put it in. The flush job should be fun, who knows what will come out of the block.

If you are just looking to get around from time to time, I would do the Stop Leak and let it ride until you can stomach paying the $850 or more for a new radiator. Like I said, it worked for me for over a year. I just can't take the potential for fluid blowing all over the engine compartment anymore so I fell on my sword and bought a brand new one so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Knowing that when I finally got a new radiator I was going to replace the hoses and thermostat at the same time, it didn't bother me what the Stop Leak may do to those items.

Last edited:

renovate7

These are copper cored radiators and can be successfully and easily repaired by a good old time rad shop, provided it isn't totally rotted out. Even then they can recore it. Call around and find out who works on the older/antique farm equipment in your area. They'll rebuild those radiators forever because they are not available...Just a boil/rod out cleaning and a repair shouldn't be too much $...Make sure it isn't coming out higher up, like the cap. Take some time and find the leak first.

3rdmdqm

I also checked with a radiator shop to see if they could repair/recore prior to buying new. The gentleman said it could be $550-$750 if nothing major had to be done, but said once he got to checking it if there were several leaks or the inside had a lot of weak/thin spots making a rebuild necessaty it would be over $900 to rebuild completely making it like new. I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one. Cost was $850. Worth it to me for the peace of mind knowing it's new and will probably last a lot longer than I will.

Bill W

Are you sure its a leak??
Bottom right side is where the coolant over flow tube spits out, its very possible you have a weak rad cap and its spitting out fluid when the pressure builds up

Last edited:

DeuceDad

Are you sure its a leak??
Bottom right side is where the coolant over flow tube spits out, its very possible you have a weak rad cap and its spitting out fluid when the pressure builds up

I know this happened to me a couple weeks back, notice some fluid actually leaking out of the left side of the engine compartment onto the left front fender. Looked around and could not tell where it was coming from, after engine cooled I remove and reseated the radiator cap and that solved it.

mhassett

I pulled my radiator and took it to a radiator shop. It was very difficult to disassemble, but he was able to repair.
MHassett

hof3414

Chevy Man, try elizabeth radiator down past the elizabeth bridge on 51. I have taken several radiators to them from dirtbikes. They fixed them up nice and they also re-coat the inside of fuel taks. I had them coat my old four wheeler tank that had sat for years.

Heavysteven

I just changed mine out. However, mine was rusted beyond repair at the bottom. Pickuped a used one and had it rebuilt. I also replaced the thermostat, belts, and hoses.

I agree that you should have it repaired before buying a new one.

cornrichard

I think there was a thread about 2 weeks ago about new aluminum radiators for the deuce. I searched and have not been able to find it. I hope I am not just off my meds about that because thats what I would like to do when mine dies.

O.D. Fever

That $900.00 recore sounds about twice the price it should be. I however have not had a rad. recored in years. The last one was on my Dodge SuperBee and it was the day before race day. The gentleman at the rad shop said he would do it after hours only if I helped.. Heck yes.. I learned first hand how to do it and test and paint. Two hours we were done, $ 100.00 and a case of beer. Placed good the next day and that was 20 years ago and the rad is still good. 4 core copper.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks