• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator leaking again!

marksgarage2

I was using the truck around the yard today. Went up the road 2 miles and steam poored out of the hood. The antifreeze was pouring out of a leak in the core again. I had it out and repaired three times before. They want 375.00 to recore it. Anyone else have a similar problem with their radiator? Thanks Mark

Towerguy1

$375 is a good deal to recore it. It cost me about $560, naturally I found several NOS radiators for about $600 after the fact. Oh well..... At least its fixed with no continueing problems.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces are an affordable truck for the most part. Between radiators and in tank fuel pumps though, they can spank you. BTW, just recently lucked across an NOS in tank pump assy for the buy it now price of $125. Couldn't click the buttons fast enough!

ajg6989

I had my deuce airborne for a few seconds but when it hit the ground the fan went into the radiator. I looked at getting a new one but ended up spending $300 on a take out one instead.

marksgarage2

rad

That price is wholesale. Its my labor, but like I said we had it out 3 times. Oh well I will pull it this week. This stinks. I found 14 11.00-20s for 500.00 around the corner on 5 ton wheels. Well they won't do me any good without a radiator. Mo Money. Who loves ya deuce!

bomar76

When I said labor and material I meant the core+labor to install core......not just the cost of the core.
As you know, yankin' the radiator out of the deuce is a cakewalk...we had ours out beau coupe times last summer in our injection pump/water pump/head gasket repairs.

marksgarage2

Radiator is recored and reinstalled. Wow does the truck cool alot better. With the winter cover on and even pushing the motor it runs 180. Is that OK? One of the engines in my boat broke the valve springs from running too cold. Thanks Mark

Dieselsmoke

Not to change the subject but is that a Samurai in the back of your deuce? I'm assuming so since you have one listed in your sig.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what "pushing the motor" means, but the thermostat begins to open at about 180F. I would keep the temp below 195F, which is where the t-stat is fully open and can no longer control the temperature, it's then at the mercy of the radiator/fan/cover alone.

The dash gauge is not that easy to monitor for small changes, straight up and down on my gauge is 177F (using a digital thermometer w/thermocouple for checking).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks