• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radiator question

3d63

Took the duce for ride and the top half of radiator is hot and bottom is cold after driving for 20 min. coolant is coming out of overflow hose thinking maybe thermostat might be stuck closed
any input is appreciated . THANKS 71 m35a2

3d63

Does anyone have a radiator flush product or procedure for un clogging the radiator. any constructive input is appreciated Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Many guys have said running the product "CLR" helps the coolant system alot. I have not done it, but a search should bring up some topics. Sometimes in my searches, I get better results if I go to a specific forum, such as "deuce" or "5ton" and search that specific forum. Please post back up and let us know what you find out. Might also want to look into a coolant filter system to keep crud from building up in the future. HTH.

Jake0147

Twenty minutes? With a five minute warmup and the silly pedal boarded for twenty minutes, the thermostat is probably just barely starting to "crack"... Slow flow (barely cracked thermostat) absolutely should make the top tank much warmer than the lower tank.

Overflow from the overflow tube is normal until the coolant is at the right level. On flat ground, looking down the filler neck you should just barely be able to see the top of the coolant hiding around the corner. Any more than that will burp it's self out through the tube, or all over your compressor and left fender if the overflow tube is plugged.

If the top is truly hot, the engine is truly hot, and coolant truly should be flowing, you can't blame the thermostat for the top tank being hot. Statistically if they have not been serviced for a while, the lower hose and lower half of the radiator (and in bad cases the lower half of the tubes) are all packed with silt. Flush products are not appropriate for this. That would be like trying to clean up spilled marbles from your living room floor with carpet shampoo. It won't work, you'll get shiny marbles but your living room is still a mess. The solution is to simply pick them up. The solution for silt of a magnitude that will actually restrict a passage is not "flushing", but actual removal. Removing the lower hose is the easiest (and yes, it is thoroughly and completely awkward, no free lunch here...). Garden hose straight down the filler neck, that'll get a decent flow in the right direction in the lower tank. If you want to check this, open the radiator petcock, as it's draining squeeze that lower hose around a little bit and see what color the coolant turns that's running out the drain fitting...
If you find copious amounts of silt in the radiator, it's prolly at various places in the block too. Remove what you need to, get good garden hose flow throughout the engine (including removing the engine petcock for the largest possible opening). The garden hose will get most of "the big stuff".
Then proceed with the chemical contraptions if the condition inside the coolant passages warrants it. TMs have info on this.

robr

Many guys have said running the product "CLR" helps the coolant system alot. I have not done it, but a search should bring up some topics. Sometimes in my searches, I get better results if I go to a specific forum, such as "deuce" or "5ton" and search that specific forum. Please post back up and let us know what you find out. Might also want to look into a coolant filter system to keep crud from building up in the future. HTH.
I used CLR on my bobbed Deuce all kinds of crap came out but it was not clogged

3d63

10 min. warm up and after 20 min drive the left fender and compressor were wet and coolant was making boiling sounds in radiator . I think Im going to remove radiator and flush the engine as suggested by Jake I guess its time to put on the coveralls and get dirty. do it once and do it right

Jake0147

When the radiator "spewed", I'm not yet convinced if it is normal (could be) or if it's too much heat (could be this also), but the fact that ti made it to the compressor and fender tell me that the overflow tube needs to have the rust, bugs, and other restrictions roto-rootered out of it. You do get some interesting "gurgling" from the space between the top of the cap and the pressure seal/vacuum vent as the system equalizes, especially when it's more full than it's supposed to be.

Capt.Marion

What's the water level in the radiator? What was the temp gauge reading when this occurred? I do not believe this is a normal occurrence.

Have you driven the truck before recently? Was this the first time you've driven it since you've done anything to the radiator or coolant?

If you have driven it recently without any problem and NOT added any more coolant since then, then you probably have something that ain't right.

3d63

This is the first time out with it this year. but in the fall I went on two 2.5 hour trips with no problems and have not added any coolant. It has not done this in the past so I think it is plugged up some where. The hoses are in sad shape anyway so I'm think its time for a complete flush , hose replacement and fresh coolant.

greenjeepster

Will not hurt to flush it, but keep in mind that the radiator is a heat exchanger.... if the top is hot the thermo is open. The bottom should be cooler than the top because the water that reaches the bottom should of had the heat driven out by the air flowing through.

My deuce spits up coolant if it has any visible in the fill neck when it is cold. At operating temp if I carefully remove the cap the fill neck is almost up to the over flow.... coolant expands quite a bit when warmed up.

On a side note; did you test the antifreeze before you parked her last fall? May have frozen up and it has not been quite warm enough to thaw it back out yet!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks