• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Repair

FreightTrain

Banned
Does anyone replace the bottom mounting bracket on the deuce radiator?Mine is totally Rotted off.The plate that has the 2 studs in it and wraps up over the lower 3 inches of teh front.I have mine off right now and would like to fix this if it is repairable cause prices for deuce radiators are insane!I can buy a whole parts truck for what just a radiator cost!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about making the mount yourself then taking it to a radiator shop and let them install it?

FreightTrain

Banned
well,before I go buy some flat iron does anyone have a radiator that is totally shot that could cut the bottom bracket off of?One that came off a parts truck that was wrecked?All I want is the peice cut about 1" above both 90degree bends so I can just replace the bottom peice.If it has the sheetmetal that is even better.Tempted though to just bite the bullet and buy a new radiator but that 600-800 sure will hurt!

SierraHotel

What is the condition of your current one (except for the mount)? If it's in fair to good shape, I'd fab a mount...otherwise, getting a good take out or a NOS may be the way to go (I know I'm not looking forward at even considering a new one....kind of scared to mess with a sleeping dog)...

FreightTrain

Banned
The actual radiator part looks in good shape.2 or 3 spot about the size of a quarter where teh fins are smooshed,one spot where it was repaired(OOPS!Wrenches are expensive around radiators),and bottom corner the fins have detached from the tube and pushed out but it is only one row about 2 inches long.No leaks or major damage other than the steel on teh bottom.I'll have to get a picture.

davemccoull

Radiator

My bottom mounting was the same as yours, i rebuit the bottom section with new flat bar, new studs, and folded a new sheet metal section. The soldering on all the cowls had come loose, ibent the bottom bar to shape, welded the studs in, and spot welded the "U section in place. This assy was tack welded in place (make sure rad core is covered as welding or grinding sparks will burn right thru, it), the whole frame was then removed and fully welded and ground up. My local rad shop re-soldered the cowl assy back to the core and its as good as new. One point, between the bottom mount and the bottom tank of the rad ther is a fabric packing for vibration,this gets wet, stays wet and rots the mount away, i replaced mine with soft rubber.
I,ve no pictures as i did this before i found S.S. website. Hope this helps.