• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radiator repair

wsucougarx

Well I decided to change out my hoses today on my '68. I got in a bit of a hurry and completely forgot to put my usual piece of thin plywood in front of the radiator. Well, while I leaned the radiator forward to loosen the fan bolts....it happened:shock: My winch clutch handle lock out bracket worked it's way into the radiator thus causing a 1 mm hole:sad:. The radiator is near new and I know these things can be repair.
My question is would a standard propane torch found at Walmart, flux, and solder be good to go on this repair? What type of solder do I want to look for? I am determined to do this myself. I have some experience soldering electrical connections but nothing like this. Being where I live, the local radiator shops just replace radiators they don't fix ones with holes. Please advise.

ODdave

pretty shure you want acid core solder & brush on flux (pipe repair kit) Drain it completely and fluch with water. Remember it has to be completley bare copper.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I like to use a large soldering iron(not a torch). If you must use a propane torch, I would get/use a soldering iron type tip, so you are NOT using the flame.

You need acid core and flux, found in the plumbing dept.

Gently clean the surrounding area and tin the edge of the hole,then bridge it over with solder. More is not better. Control your heat and location of heat.

Drain the whole radiator.

LV2XLR8

Personally, I like to use a large soldering iron(not a torch). If you must use a propane torch, I would get/use a soldering iron type tip, so you are NOT using the flame.

You need acid core and flux, found in the plumbing dept.

Gently clean the surrounding area and tin the edge of the hole,then bridge it over with solder. More is not better. Control your heat and location of heat.

Drain the whole radiator.

What he said. I've done it before on a couple of car rads I have and it works beautifully but do use the iron, way easier to isolate your repair.

Bill W

As mentioned above the leadfree acid core solder and flux will do just fine. I think a propane torch will do a better job of pre heating the damaged area and burning off any residual water trapped/left in the bad rad tube

cbvet

The location of the hole makes a big difference! If it's near the tank you may want to use something hotter than propane, maybe MAPP gas or oxy/acetylene. That way you can heat the affected area more quickly without too much heat spreading to the tank joints.

I've had some success soldering radiators with lead-based solder & suitable flux. I don't know if you can still buy lead-based solder though.

If possible, pinch the hole closed. Then really clean the area around the hole with wire brush, steel wool, emery cloth, etc. Apply flux.

Use a medium flame & keep the torch moving. You can add to the damage if you get it too hot. Not enough heat & the solder won't stick. Too much heat can destroy the metal & the solder will just run off.

If you can find an old radiator or heater core to practice on, that would be great.

As an option you could pinch the hole & add a couple of bottles of Bars Leak sealer. I know a lot of guys won't like that suggestion, but I've had very good luck with it.

Hyenine

I've used JB weld for these types of repairs in the past. I have a radiator fixed with it that hasn't leaked for 6 years going. It may not be as good as solder, but it may be another choice.

Bill W

The location of the hole makes a big difference! If it's near the tank you may want to use something hotter than propane, maybe MAPP gas or oxy/acetylene. That way you can heat the affected area more quickly without too much heat spreading to the tank joints.
Very good point
Though I doubt the cooling tube would be able to transfer that much heat...however if the leak is a couple of inches from the bottom you could leave enough coolant in the lower tank to dissipate any excess heat so it doesn't melt the tank seams

wsucougarx

Thanks for all your recommendations and advice guys. The holes are about 6-8 inches up from the bottom of the radiator in the vertical cooling passageway. Both are about 1 mm each. Luckily I only got the one passage way. I'm really kicking myself now because I thought about the plywood cover only minutes before it happened. Oh well, live and learn.

jollygreen

Lol in a pinch to get home I have used and egg and a can of pepper and it still don't leak lol and it smells like your cookin steaks but that ain't no permanent solution just something to keep in mind and to keep ready if the need should arise hahahahahaha!;-)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not try silver soldering it. I would use acid core 95/5 solder.

I don't think that soldering gun is going to do it. The Iron I use (not sure of the wattage) has a tip that is about 3/8" dia. It's a big one.

It wont hurt to try your gun. You may be able to get the hole soldered with it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soft solder, average melt temp, 370F

Hard solder(Silversolder) average melt temp, 850F.

No need to try to silver solder the core.