• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Rust

Heavysteven

Well, the support frame on my radiator is rusted:(. I knew it was a problem but was not on the top of my list till now. I have got the belts, thermostat, and need to order the hoses. Thought i would share.

Also, I found a fairly nice used radiator and plan to have it serviced. I have a feeling this one is going to come out in pieces.

My next project will be to replace all belts, hoses, and thermostat. Front engine seal is a maybe unless I hear from others that it's simple.

Attachments

DieselBob

Man that is rusted. Mine is just starting to form some rust and was hoping to score one of the new radiators that came out of GL a while back. I have to ask, what's with the large red noodle ? :D

rlwm211

Your family needs a ground guide; also known as "SOLDIER 'B'"; as per regulations when they back up a vehicle.
Write em' up for non-compliance and tell them that any damage they cause is coming out of their pay plus they will be on report and have extra duty......

RL ;)

JCKnife

Man, that is pretty bad. My truck had a lot more rust than yours in general but my radiator was OK.

If you find a better way to change that T-stat housing seal, post it up.

G'luck!

ctmustang

Hey Heavy my last deuce had the same radiator support rust. The radiator was also stopped up some. I took it to a local radiator shop that has been in business for around 60 years. The original owner boiled it out and gave it the once over he even repaired the brace rust and all this for 150.00. Still cheaper than a good used takeout.
CT
[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Heavysteven

That is a very good point. It's just the rust eaten through the frame and I notice half the shroud is missing.

Would be a good time to have the alternator rebuilt while the radiator is off though.

JCknife I be sending you a PM if forget how to put it all back together.

Srjeeper

HS,

Go to any of your local heavy truck dealers and ask who they send their radiators too. Then get yours to that company and I'll bet you'll find they'll clean up your radiator and fix that support for a bunch less than a new or take out radiator.

While it's out put a collant filter in the system and you'll never need to go thru any of this again as long as you own the truck. Use heavy duty truck anti-freeze and distilled water when you put it all back together. Replacing the belts and hoses now is money well spent, but the alternator rebuild isn't a big deal now, unless yours is shot.

Search the deuce forum and you'll find plenty on cooling system filters and diesel engine anti-freeze benifits.

2cents

Wolf.Dose

I agree, do the job now, get the rotten radiator rebulit.
You have two advantages: First an new radiator core, and second the cooling will improve for the up to date radiator core is of the state of t art and not of the 50's stile and efficiancy.
And you will be trouble free for at least the next 10 years!
Wolf

Capt.Marion

The used radiator is from an 89, would that mean it is more efficit?

I will keep the old radiator mabye i can trade or sell.

If you need a radiator shop, I've had good success with one in Cumming that does pretty good work... two tractor radiators (one 64 years old and the other 60) and my M37 radiator. Every time I've been there they've had some pretty big radiators in there (one from a D7 bulldozer the last time, actually), so I reckon they can take care of a deuce radiator.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
HS, all the multifuel radiators are the same unless their materials or construction quality has improved-the design has stayed the same since the Sixties.

Try Sims radiator-they have 2 of Dawn's deuce's radiators.