• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radiator troubles

blizzardwarrior7

So my new to me 1954 GMC has been home now for 2 weeks or so. Water pump and radiator replaced. Still having trouble with the radiator. I can idle the truck for about 5 minutes to warm up, and than within 3 minutes of driving it overheats the temp guage shows just under 220 and I have steam pouring out of the overflow along with some coolant. Does this sound like a clogged radiator? Also started stripping paint and sanding so will have new pics of that up once it stops raining.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
could be a head gasket/ cracked head, if it got hot from the bad water pump or rad. it very well could be

bones1

This is a M211 gas 6cyl I suppose?.
What is still wrong with the radiator after being replaced?.If the radiator is new you must look elsewhere. Thermostat may be stuck shut(likely) or worse the head gasket may be blown between cyls.

blizzardwarrior7

But wouldn't a bad head gasket mean the engine would be burning coolant while it was running? I the coolant level is staying the same unless it starts leaking out the overflow. Also the radiator initially went out because the water pump bearing went out, causing the fan to strike the radiator and cracking it. It now has a new water pump and radiator. Is there any way of ruling out the headgasket? The radiator is getting hot, didn't check the top hose good idea, is a stuck thermostat common on these engines?
Also I mispoke, the radiator is a takeoff radiator that was supposedly pressure tested by tom at alpha.

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To check for stuck thermostat, let it warm up and check the top hose, if it is not HOT then thermostat is stuck. IF the hose is hot, feel the face of the radiator, if it is cool from top to bottom radiator is clogged. (New radiator not likely.)

Let us know.

Last edited:

bones1

Look for a stream of bubbles in the radiator while it is warm and running.I suspect a crack/ gasket as well,BUT check the thermostat if it has one?.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the thermostat, pump, rad.,are GOOD, has to be a crack that allows exhaust gasses to enter the cooling system

bones1

Eliminate the above easy stuff first than pull some spark plugs and see if you are burning water.
Remove the dipstick and let a drop of fluid fall on a hot part of the engine - oil will smoke water will "sizzle
Check your oil for milky color.

armytruck63

If the thermostat, pump, rad.,are GOOD, has to be a crack that allows exhaust gasses to enter the cooling system
This is exactly how I found out that my M38A1 had a cracked block. :roll:

A welder friend brazed up the crack and he put a helicoil in where the crack was near a head bolt thread. It's been four years and everything seems to be holding up.

blizzardwarrior7

Thermostat was sticking a bit, so removed that and replaced it. Truck is running for about 15 minutes at a time now without spilling from the overflow. The temp still isn't getting over 185 or so but is still puking. Could it be that there is too much coolant in the radiator? How high should the level of coolant be in relation to the overflow?still no symptoms of a bad head gasket...

blizzardwarrior7

Still wondering if the level of coolant in radiator is causing it to come out the overflow, I don't want any more responses telling me you think the truck has a bad head gasket or a crack in the block, it doesn't have any symptoms of any of these things and isn't overheating, just would like to know how full the radiator should be.

armytruck63

With the truck cold and not running, you should be able to see some coolant when you take off the radiator cap.

My dad's WWII GPW will barf out some coolant if you fill the radiator up to the top. Once it reaches the level it likes, it stays there, runs cool and doesn't spit out anymore coolant.

on my m211 I keep the coolant just where I can see it in the fill cap . because the presser relief is just a little higher then that . and any coolant at that level will just get blown out . so keep the coolant below the presser relief and you should be fine .

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Overheating,

Did you get that solved yet? My 6x has held rad fluid levels right to the top unlike some GM's that, as mentioned before, puke fluid until they are at a level they 'like'.

I really hope it's an easy fix for you! We did a new rad in a truck and one of the guys left some plastic packaging in a line before putting a hose on. Once we figured the rad was cold we just pulled everything and while removing a hose the red plastic cap fell out of the rad.....funny.

Put it all back together got it running great........then the fuel pump went........even funnier.

Found a rad assembly in the pile yesterday.......let me know if I should save it'

Attachments

butch atkins

on my M211 when i got it ,it would only circulate coolant under pressure when hot,when it was cold i pulled the lower rad hose, the rad was so stopped up coolant wouldnot run out the bottom rad hose,had a new core put in,300.00 and no problems since,that was in 1992,so pull the lower hose and that will tell you if the rad core is stopped up,some will run out of the lower tank but the upper will remain full,good luck and keep posting

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks