• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radio antenna and gear?

a68cudas

How much do the radio antenna and radio gear run for one of these? Where can you find the transmitter/ receiver and antenna at for sale?

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want to be "correct" and look cool, or do you want stuff you can use? Not the 2 are exclusive of each other, but civy radio stuff is ALOT better than MIL.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan to show the vehicle in military attire I would recommend a RT524 base (ebay for about $50 used, $200 NIB) then get the vehicle base for a PRC77 that slides into it, then the PRC77. Should be cheaper than a full RT524 set up and you can still pull the PRC77 out and use it for a rucksack radio. You'll still have some shortwave bands just not the good ones.

If you're just looking for something to work HAM with get a newer radio (hand held).

As with legal advice (I am not an attorney), I am not a SIGNAL guy. This was just the suggestion FROM a SIGNAL guy when asked how to fit out my 1009.

a68cudas

what all can the mil one do compared to civy? what speifically does the mil version do? what exactly is the prc77 and what does it do? Id like to go for original equipment. I dont have a ham license. Thanks for the feedback guys

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RT524 would be the "correct" radio for the CUCV and if you're only using it for display purposes you could probably find a non-working one for sale by doing a "google" search or similar. A lot of guys like getting working ones so they can have the authentic look but still communicate if they're doing convoys together. Range is a big factor with these although you can get "skips" where you'll pick up a station further away. We got chewed out once when I was at the Yakima Training Center with the 9th ID because we were using the secure Range Control freq for White Sands Missile Range. Point is you can't depend on that and if you're several miles away you may or may not be able to communicate.

I do displays with a couple of different MVPA organizations so I want the look of the military radio but still want something usable.

My CUCV is currently set up for security use with a lightbar, etc, and I'm getting ready to put a scanner and CB into it. Nonetheless, I'd like to also get the rack (Hawkman......?? You still have yours available?) and the PRC. WLcharm...lmk what ya got!

I realize that even when I pull the equipment out of it it won't be 'correct', but I'm thinking of making it a "Roadmaster" for the USMC impression.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks