• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio antennia location

zick

Have the sugar scoop housing with spring and 2 piece antennea. Is it usually mounted on the side of the bed of the M35 or on the leading side of the bed, near the slave unit?
Just replaced the dash instruments with a A3 dash plate, and added a pryrometer and boost guage, as well as air seat on drivers side and spring seat on passenger side. Have can oil filters to add on and a new filter with a water drain bowl.
Any information would be appreciated.
Zick

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Officially for the SINCGARS system, a pole was bolted in behind the cab and the surgar scoop put on top of that. The antenna was way up there so I guess that is good and bad.

I have also seen them mounted on the right cab front with a special plate that went over the air vent and allowed the vent to still be opened. It was made for the 5 ton I have seen one fitted to a deuce. Saw on two occasions the antennae were fitted on the back of the front bumper.

The bed mount you mention is actually based on the M715 but was used on the deuce on occasion. There are threads on here that talk about deuce mounted antennae with a bunch of these pictures. The bed mount required a spacer plate with back plate to mount the sugar scoop on. A brush guard could also be mounted. I think CliffW was the one that had a picture posted of his set up.

Never saw the antenna mounted on the front of the bed in the 'real world'. It is too easily broken there and pulling it across to tie it down would be an absolute PITA.

Rustygears

My A3 came from GL with the sugar scoop, the 6352 mount and the LS671 speaker installed and wired. All they did was remove the AS-3900 antenna base and the actual SINCGARS radios, which I have now replaced.

The sugar scoop is mounted on a small piece of pole that is U-bolted to the bed midway down the truck on the driver's side. The pole section fits within the channel making up the side of the bed 'box'. All I had to do was install the AS-3900A antenna mount/wideband VHF antenna and attach the BNC that was dangling there. .

I bought an RT-1439, the AM-7239E power adapter, the AM7238 power amp and a RT-1523E for the top shelf. The whole system works great on 6M. I'll add a second antenna on the other side of the bed and later add an HF whip on a pole mount setup behind the cab when I get a PRC-138.

Attachments

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty, What the story on that 1523E? Not many of those around. Is the KY-57 just a shell with jumpers installed to pass traffic through?

KsM715

Officially for the SINCGARS system, a pole was bolted in behind the cab and the surgar scoop put on top of that. The antenna was way up there so I guess that is good and bad.
Good if you actually use the radios. Bad if you leave the antenna tied down all the time. My M818 came with the pole and base but the spring on the base was permanently bent from leaving it tied down.

Attachments

jwaller

My A3 came from GL with the sugar scoop, the 6352 mount and the LS671 speaker installed and wired. All they did was remove the AS-3900 antenna base and the actual SINCGARS radios, which I have now replaced.

The sugar scoop is mounted on a small piece of pole that is U-bolted to the bed midway down the truck on the driver's side. The pole section fits within the channel making up the side of the bed 'box'. All I had to do was install the AS-3900A antenna mount/wideband VHF antenna and attach the BNC that was dangling there. .

I bought an RT-1439, the AM-7239E power adapter, the AM7238 power amp and a RT-1523E for the top shelf. The whole system works great on 6M. I'll add a second antenna on the other side of the bed and later add an HF whip on a pole mount setup behind the cab when I get a PRC-138.
thats some nice gear you have there. this is my stack. pm me if you would I'd like to chat.

Attachments

Tango

I chose to install the mount in front of the bed to keep it from banging into something and to keep the antenna low to try to prevent it from striking various low obects. I know it isn't ideal for reception but still works well. I tie it down behind the cab and keeps it out of the way when driving through wooded areas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks