• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radio help

12vctd

on left side of fuse box theres two 12v ing key sorces for power far left near the hazard flasher. Ground goes to a bare metal part of the truck. And 12v BAT or constant wire needs a 12v constant source with run a wire from one battery or I am trying to remember where the 12v constant tap in the fues box is.

jamieboy

I am not sure on the 1009 if it is a 12 volt or 24 volt system. If it is 12 volt my advice is to run
a power cord direct from the battery. I tried to run a CB radio of my cigarette lighter socket with not much luck. I also run my Ham radios direct to the battery because they also act as a good filter. And you could run the positive cable to one side of a fuse in your fuse panel and ground the negative to metal body ground. If your radio pulls a lot of amperage (high wattage) I would go straight to the battery. Hope this helps. If your truck is 24 volt someone else will have to shout out.

Farmin2010

Even if it is still 24 volts the front battery will still give you 12 volts, but your best bet will be to get it from the keyed plugs on the fuse panel, that way the radio won't kill your battery when you get out of your truck.

K9Vic

yea my cigarette lighter socket puts out 24v

The CUCV did not come factory with a cigarette lighter in the ash tray door. If you have one installed and it is 24v, then it is not done right to the front or rear batteries 12v side.

It is easy to install a radio in a CUCV, but I did not want to hack up my dash so I put min in my center console. The power is connected to a Federal Signal 6 switch box and memory is direct to the 12v battery side. So all I have to do is flip the switch and my radio is on. My speakers are in the dash in the normal location as a civi K5, got them from a parts truck. I also have a scanner headset that I can use to listen to the radio when on the highway to keep out the engine noise. It is a cheap Dual MP3/WMA radio with no CD as I did not want any moving parts or a CD that can get dirty. Works great and hours of music on a road trip with the SD card.

Attachments

Farmin2010

My guess is your lighter plug is getting power from: the second battery, or the battery rail on the firewall or the hot wire to the starter relay.

3dubs

Do something with that cig lighter fast. The M1009 is a 12V in the truck. The Starter and the strips passenger side rear are 24V. I would use a multimeter just to be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

SGT Estum

The CUCV did not come factory with a cigarette lighter in the ash tray door. If you have one installed and it is 24v, then it is not done right to the front or rear batteries 12v side.

It is easy to install a radio in a CUCV, but I did not want to hack up my dash so I put min in my center console. The power is connected to a Federal Signal 6 switch box and memory is direct to the 12v battery side. So all I have to do is flip the switch and my radio is on. My speakers are in the dash in the normal location as a civi K5, got them from a parts truck. I also have a scanner headset that I can use to listen to the radio when on the highway to keep out the engine noise. It is a cheap Dual MP3/WMA radio with no CD as I did not want any moving parts or a CD that can get dirty. Works great and hours of music on a road trip with the SD card.
I really like that center console. Where did you get it? Is there a manufacturer or model number on it?

mistaken1

You can get 12V between the positive and negative posts of the back battery but the negative post of the back battery 'floats' 12V above the vehicle chassis ground. If that cig lighter is connected to the back battery that way you will read 12V between the contacts (ring and center contact) but you will read 12V (from the ring) and 24V (from the center contact) to the vehicle chassis.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/45876-electrical-add-ons-2.html#post516165

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/45876-electrical-add-ons-2.html#post516984

K9Vic

I really like that center console. Where did you get it? Is there a manufacturer or model number on it?
The console is made by www.troyproducts.com for police vehicles and designed for a 2000+ Tahoe. This is something I got from a local city municipal auction and made it fit with the original brackets, but using them differently then originally designed. This is because a 73-91 floor plan is nothing like a 2000+, but it did work with some manipulation of the original brackets. You can probably find these consoles used on eBay, but new they are expensive new. There is also Jotto Desk that used the same style of console and face plates, then other makes but they are more different. There is a mix of Jotto Desk and Troy face plates and parts, but the two manufactures are interchangeable. You can just search "police console" on eBay and see what you find. Bracket fabrication may be required, but the main console units are great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks