• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio questions

CST

i piecing together a sincgars radio and had some questions on what I need. I have the MT-6352 radio tray, CX-13302 power cable and the 3900/VRC antenna assembly. I plan on using this eventually to power the VIC 3 as well.

My questions are:
what else do I need radio wise? AM-7238?
what radio's i can use w/the 6352. I am looking for an RT-1523 or 1439

this is a pic of the radio tray

tks
sw8_2dg@yahoo.com

Attachments

papakb

Either of those radios will work fine in the 6352, now all you need to do is find one of them! I've run a 1439 in the MT-6567 single mount for years in my ambulance because there isn't room for the full double stack rack between it and the rear body access door. Recently I modified a PRC-138 battery box that allows me to use either radio in the 6567 mount with no modifications to the radio. That gives me the best of both worlds, VHF-low and HF comms.

119:
PRC-119 in HMMWV.jpg

138:

PRC-138 in the HMMWV.jpg

CST

what plugs into the large oval port on the left? it says "system connector"
and what else do i need to go w/the an RT-1523 or 1439? i've seen what looks like antenna ports & power switch on the left side and some connections on the right

so do i need an AM-7238 radio mount or something and then an amp?

Attachments

Last edited:

CST

what plugs into the large oval port on the left? "it says system connector"
and what else do i need to go w/the an RT-1523 or 1439? i've seen what looks like antenna ports & power switch on the left side and some connections on the right

ohaniazx

Hello CST,
I suggest you download the online manual and look at the various configs you can have with sincgars, single, dual, Short Range (SR) or Long Range (LR) with single or dual amp setup (LR-LR); Consider the space aspect like PapaKb stated in his article as dual mount takes lots of space, plus finding two sincgars to populate is another story ($$$$); Single mount power supply is hard to find these days but the mounts themselves are available. Smallest foot print is with the ASIP model, single mount for it are hard to find also but make it for a very compact setup. As for amps you don't really need them as a good matched antenna is the key. The radio on High puts out enough power for most use - vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to basecamp (3 to 5 miles) etc. Do check your antenna setup once you have it all done, I have seen those AS-3900 fail internally or a cut wire/connection; use an antenna analyzer before pushing lots of power into it.
GP

papakb

CST, Keep in mind that to use the transmitter in your ASIP you should have an FCC license and legally that limits you to the 50-54 Mhz frequency, 6 meter amateur band. A license isn't hard to get now that there's no Morse Code requirement and a few evenings of reading one of the many available Technician Class manuals out there will give you the knowledge you need to pass the test.

The amateurs don't always like us because the military radios are wide band while their ham stuff is typically narrow band but my advice is to stay on a low power setting and use the radio properly. Remember your not a long hawl trucker hawlin' hogs and givin' smokey reports. Military chatter is brief and to the point.

Your next option is to get a General Class license and that opens up the world of HF radio to you. There you can run higher power on the amateur HF radio bands and talk all over the world. There are lots of great military radios that operate on HF available to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks