• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio shelf quick releases

riderdan

So, today I went to talk to a guy who used to do depot maintenance on HMMWVs during his time in the service (friend of a friend). I still haven't completely resolved my coolant leak... though I can say it is definitely leaking from a crack in the overflow tank and at a gasket near the front of the engine (not the water pump).

In any case, he mentioned that there were some type of quick disconnects made for the radio shelf upper bolts that allow the radio deck to tilt out so the doghouse can be removed without pulling the radio. These must have shown up after I got out, because I'd never seen nor heard of them.

Apparently, my google-fu isn't what it might be... anyone know what these are really called, have an NSN, or source? Thanks.

NormB

93744514-6FE0-4311-BD19-6161A1F488CA.jpg202382D5-DA76-4020-8CF5-9B2B522A4077.jpg

There were two 1/4-20 riv-nuts there already for the radio shelf, bought the knobs at Lowes, I think, same with safety pins (2”, although 1-3/4” would work, IIRC).

This what you were looking for?

BLK HMMWV

I use (3) similar 1/4 x 20 knobs on the top of my tray . Never thought about the lower pins but I like them and will copy that idea.
Thanks for posting the pic's Norm.
BH

Wire Fox

Well, dang. That's what that odd 1/4 x20 knob was doing rolling around in my HMMWV. I'll have to copy all of this. Too smart of an idea to pass up.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

NormB

Will those knobs fit behind the radios? RT524 and R442
Maybe, maybe not. There ARE flatter, smaller knobs. Check out a grainger or MSC catalog, local hardware store (ACE, Tractor supply), the dreaded online auction site or Dr. Evil's Jungle sales site. Lotsa options. Could even use a 1/4-20 flat thumbscrew and washer, I imagine.

papakb

If you ebay or google "quick release pins" you'll find them in almost every size and head style. I have used 3/8 x 1-1/4 pins for the lower feet for years and they allow you to remove and refit the radio decks in seconds. I use a 1/4 x 2" pin for my pintle lock. They are expensive new but you can find them on the auction sites for considerably less. They are available from places like Aircraft Spruce and McMaster-Carr if you need them right away.

quick release pin.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks