RAILROAD CROSSING SAFETY - Sheriff Officer Hit - could have been any of us.

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Another Ahab

I have days off my life from the heart stopping incidents when someone pulls out in front of me, runs the gates, or is trespassing... All I can do is set the brakes, make noise and hold on. And sometimes there isn't time to do any of it...

The industry average is you will kill someone every 2 years of your career...
Hey, Ferroequinologist, I meant to circle back and apologize to you.

I was stupid as a kid (not saying I got over that either), and the things I did might have turned wrong, and for more people than just me.

Now, finally, I get it.

That statistic of yours (every two years), shouldn't happen to anyone. I never meant to make small of it. Just telling stories from when I was a kid.

I wish a blessing on you of peace always, and hope you beat the statistic. There's my wish!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, Ferroequinologist, I meant to circle back and apologize to you.

I was stupid as a kid (not saying I got over that either), and the things I did might have turned wrong, and for more people than just me.

Now, finally, I get it.

That statistic of yours (every two years), shouldn't happen to anyone. I never meant to make small of it. Just telling stories from when I was a kid.

I wish a blessing on you of peace always, and hope you beat the statistic. There's my wish!
DITTO!

Pray you NEVER have to witness /go through this type of thing, Ferro!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro,
You serve this nation in a thankless job. Those horrible things to which you are at risk are beyond the comprehension of John Q Public.
Please know that you are in our prayers as well as your fellow train drivers and crews.... AND you have our appreciation and SALUTE. Your contributions are recognized and honors bestowed, Sir.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ahab,
Don't worry about it. We all have done stupid stuff as kids and teens, we are blessed to have lived through!

I'm not a 'mainline' engineer, so I don't put in nearly the hours on the road as most train crews. I have had about 50 really close calls and only one vehicle hit in my career thus far. I have been lucky and hope to remain so.

The best thing you or anyone can do is harp on safety at crossings and try and prevent trespassing. A friend hit a teen 3 days ago, she was crossing the tracks with earbuds in and he said she never looked up or both ways, even with him blaring the horn. Such a sad loss because of a single moment of carelessness.

And thank you USAFSS, for your kind words. PTSD is a little recognized issue within the railroader community, but fairly rampant. I still have occasional nightmares about some of the close calls. Others have it much worse.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have days off my life from the heart stopping incidents when someone pulls out in front of me, runs the gates, or is trespassing... All I can do is set the brakes, make noise and hold on. And sometimes there isn't time to do any of it...

The industry average is you will kill someone every 2 years of your career...
Ferro isn't lying, I'm the guy that scrapes them up. I think we had one 3 mile section of heavy main line with two NS tracks and one CSX track that averaged one person hit a year in ten years, cars and pedestrians.

Another Ahab

Ferro isn't lying, I'm the guy that scrapes them up. I think we had one 3 mile section of heavy main line with two NS tracks and one CSX track that averaged one person hit a year in ten years, cars and pedestrians.
25 years of firefighting, and my brother recently retired as a captain of a company down in North Carolina.

It was an episode that he said broke him, and told me he had to get out:

- Responded to a highway crash, a mother and her two young children. No survivors. It was the last in a career of similar incidents for him, but this one pushed him over the edge.

My heart goes out to everybody involved in these kinds of events, like you John S-B, victims and responders. The violence does good for no one.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it but this is an example of the old saying, you can't fix stupid, he should have stopped and looked then continued. The same thing all emergency vehicles are required to do at red lights. As a Railroad guy here, let's think about what the crew of the trains have to deal with too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks