• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

scottgs

No Military Land Rover forum either. Keeping in mind that Land Rovers are used by the US Army, and that military Land Rovers actually show up for the Steel Soldiers rallies, and they go on the trail rides and the convoys, unlike a large portion of vehicles which do have dedicated sections in the forums.

Just be glad this "I want it" thread hasn't been locked yet. ;)

zout

I have a physic hotline # - and I forsee an end to this thread quickly - it is touching base with uncontrolled pent up hostility.

zout

It was already predestined that hotline I have would pay off - I only bet on sure things - please stand by for end results. I see It in my 8 ball

vtdeucedriver

No Military Land Rover forum either. Keeping in mind that Land Rovers are used by the US Army, and that military Land Rovers actually show up for the Steel Soldiers rallies, and they go on the trail rides and the convoys, unlike a large portion of vehicles which do have dedicated sections in the forums.

Just be glad this "I want it" thread hasn't been locked yet.
:rant: :soapbox:
aua Nevermind.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vtdeucedriver, there is ZERO reason to have a RR forum. We are trying to reduce the multiple forums.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AH yes, the death song of another GE product. It will soon be turned into little pieces, and sent to China.

trukhead

A lot of them will load up with fuel while idleing all night during cold weather then catch fire in the exhaust when going back into service.
I heard the term "cold lock" on the old generation diesel engines that are set out to idle in the cold and the fuel builds up and the engine locks up with results such as bent rods. Have you heard of or seen this condition?

steelypip

I haven't heard the term, but I've heard most commonly of fuel dilution of oil resulting in poor lubricity and low oil viscosity, followed by rapid ring and bore wear, followed by the engine running away as it sucks fuel and lube oil past the rings.

There's also a variant of badness on blower scavenged diesels involving blowby puddling in the intake tract. It idles fine for a good long while, but then the operators goose it and it sucks all the oil into the engine causing an overspeed or other bad things.

The most common variant is probably extreme wet-stacking. This was common on the Deltic locomotives because they had significantly more power available than was commonly needed, so the power units spent a lot of time at idle. You usually just get an exhaust system fire from this, but most exhaust systems (and turbos, and engine bays) aren't designed to cope with extended exposure to a high temperature fire in the plumbing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought some of you guys that ever lost a turbo in a truck would like to see one fail in epic proportions looks like it had started to run away burning its own crankcase oil.

That has to be some of the cleanest crankcase oil ever to burn with no smoke at the end.

michigandon

AH yes, the death song of another GE product. It will soon be turned into little pieces, and sent to China.
GE's have a habit of spontaneously combusting if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

Take a look at the ratio of GE's that are 10-15 yrs old and sitting in the deadline, vs the EMDs that are 25, 30, 40 yrs old that are very much still alive and kickin'! I rest my case.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks