• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I even own a Marine Corp Motorcar(Fairmont A4-E), so I guess I am nuts with Ferro.
BTW- Ferro called me so excited. He was getting ready to move HIS tank car into the shop, so he could work on it. I asked him to replace my hard earned diesel fuel in the locomotives- all he did was laugh.:cookoo::jumpin::mrgreen:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just thought of something else. Dana Collins, proprieter of the Army Surplus Warehouse in Idaho Falls, Idaho, about 50 miles from me, has some old narrow gauge mining equipment. He used to work for the Butte, Anaconda, and Pacific in Montana a long time ago. He still has connections there. I wonder if he could help you locate some old mining railroad equipment. Just a thought. Pagan

Pagan, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, being in the Czech Republic, Europe makes it difficult to get US help here, but who knows, maybe they can help in different ways. Little small-gauge locomotives (engines) and other stuff is still possible to get around here. Biggest problem is the actual track. We calculated that only replacing the rails at scrap-iron rate would already cost us US$ 40,000. Wooden sleepers would be a next problem. And in former east-block countries doing volunteer work or giving donations is not very common (yet).

zout

Written by Herman Hupfeld, the Song of the Army Transportation Corps debuted on March 28,
1943, over the Army Hour radio program.
On 31 July 1989, the original "Song of the Transportation Corps" was reestablished as the official
"Regimental Song of the Army Transportation Corps".

We load the ships -
We load the trains -
So that the other lads can load the guns and planes.
When you hear a mighty roar,
It’s the Transportation Corps -
We’ve gotta deliver the goods and not a single man complains.
Along the road -
Along the track -
The briny deep -
We get'em there,
We bring ‘em back -
Day and night we’re on duty on the sea and shore;
Always ready to join the fight to save the nation.
The Army Transportation Corps!
We load the Corps!
Keep it movin,’ Keep it movin,’
That’s a job
The stuff has gotta get to ‘bucks’ to the ‘boots’
That we know
Gotta feed ‘em, how we need ‘em,
Bill and Bob
Give ‘em plenty of beef and bullets,
They’ll be moppin’ up the foe.

Pagan

RR restoration project

I didn't notice the Czech Republic location of your effort. That makes your endeavor even larger. Wooden ties will be a problem. In the states, once existing stocks are exhausted, wood can not be used for ties except in very limited circumstances. The rail, tie plates, and spikes (wait, you fellows use bolts don't you-much better) will be a huge expense. Best wishes on your project. Pagan

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I even own a Marine Corp Motorcar(Fairmont A4-E), so I guess I am nuts with Ferro.
BTW- Ferro called me so excited. He was getting ready to move HIS tank car into the shop, so he could work on it. I asked him to replace my hard earned diesel fuel in the locomotives- all he did was laugh.:cookoo::jumpin::mrgreen:
Hey, that diesel came out of MY taxes!

If your really that upset about it I will put the couple of molecules of hydrocarbons you actually paid for back into the tank...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just got word from defrocked SS member Freighttrain that a live steam locomotive will be passing near me. It will be traveling from Chattanooga to Birmingham tomorrow and I intend to get some pictures as it screams through Collinsville, AL.

I'll post them tomorrow.

I think you guys are being too hard on Ferro.......he's as sane as I am.:mrgreen:

rickf

I just got word from defrocked SS member Freighttrain that a live steam locomotive will be passing near me. It will be traveling from Chattanooga to Birmingham tomorrow and I intend to get some pictures as it screams through Collinsville, AL.

I'll post them tomorrow.

I think you guys are being too hard on Ferro.......he's as sane as I am.:mrgreen:
That explains a LOT!

tuckered

Walked back to the second locomotive in my power consist of a military transport train while in a siding between Las Vegas and Yermo, Ca, where the equipment unloads for Fort Irwin. Those two guards had been in that cab for around a week, all the way from the east coast, with no showers of course. Made my eyes water. Felt immensely sorry for them. Temperature around 108 degrees F at the time. MRE's and tepid drinking water. Intense noise. Toilet in nose compartment hadn't been emptied for probably a month-festering in the desert heat. Knock a buzzard off a gut wagon by itself. And of course, that being the Union Pacific-no air conditioning. Pagan
I'd love to put some pictures/videos of some of thoser SP toilets, but the mods would think it was to discusting, any pull the thread, then UPRR management would do their typical thing. If I am gone, waite for the you tube video to come out when I am fired or retired. You really need to be a STEEL SOLDIER to enter one of them. Range toilets smell better. At least at a range, you have the tree option. I wont even talk about hauling a nuclear reactor of really screwed bridges that the railroad wrapped with chains, to keep the thing together.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2012.

Dear Chris & Mangus:

I do believe that Ferro's comments are warranted. There SHOULD be both a military railroad and a Military watercraft forum on here. I state that there were military railroaders and military railroads during the Civil War, long before the first deuce, tank, or bulldozer ever served the US Military in war, and many of the railroaders paid with their lives in combat and also in operational accidents. Further, there has been a military marine service since General Washington crossed the Delaware, and many of the military watercraft, and their crewmen, have been intimately involved in our military operations all around the world and in almost every theatre, so yes, that forum is warranted also.
Just because you don't own a locomotive or caboose from the DOD,USAF or USN, or a tugboat, doesn't mean that there are not other interested people wanting to learn about them on here and all around the world. Sometimes the blinders on here equals anything I have ever seen on a team of draft mules, and the effects are often the same. Sit back, open your eyes and your minds, you might just be surprised what is out beyond those blinders, IMHOP....:whistle:

NB: look up the U.S.Army military "ST'-45' foot tugs, small enough to be trucked, and yet still a working tugboat, some of the "LT" class tugs served in Vietnam and WWII operations also...

Doghead: I PROPOSE a military cookbook receipe forum..also, as I have had a lot of G.I.'s want receipes copied out of my mother's WWII Army cookbook for old time's sake (She was a WAAC captain in charge of the mess hall, quartermaster department, and handling German & Italian prisioners and their interogations at Camp Ritchie, MD (Later Fort Ritchie). Look up the "Ritchie Boys" documenentary if you want to lean a thing or two about espionage in WWII! At least you won't need a John Wayne to get your meal out on that forum!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's next...

Anyone into military horticulture?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An Equestrian Forum, OK. :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks