• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad M1008

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

I picked up a M1008 from Ft Stewart yesterday. Blt 5/85. Ran, drove, has one belt squiling. Even had a full tank of fuel. :grin:

Flat towed her to the Air Force Base where I work. Figure I will fix her up and test here out on the bases rail system.

It has hyrail gear mounted on the truck, the rear is tucked away under the bed, but the front is this massive deal that removed the grill guard, bumper, and clevis mounts. So I used my chain clamps for the tow.

It has the offset wheels on it, so they ride the tracks better. They are 8 X 19.5. I bet they will be hard to find... :roll:

The only issue I have is the glow plugs are ka-put, I know there are several threads on the subject, so I will do some searching.

Also, this morning I had the parking lights and 4-ways on, but by the time I got to work they quit working- now I have no lights. Will be reading the manual on that too.

I know, I know, 'where are the pics?' I couldn't find the cable for my camera last night, or this morning. You really want pics, you can come over and help me look for it... :wink:

I'll find that dang cable and will post pics soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool, best of 2 hobbies. Rarely do I see the rail gear in civy hands. Will it ever see the rails again?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I just had the front railgear down on the rails! :-D
The front works perfectly, although it could use a little bit more hydro fluid.

The wires to the rear pump were cut. Not sure why they did that... I'll have to figure it all out and wire it back together again before it is rail bound. Of course, the colors are different than the ones on the pump, and also different from the front pump. Can't make my life easy, can they?

Figured out the lights, there was a 20amp fuse in the headlight spot, Doghead told me it should be a 30. changed it, and am back in business.

It will start if you crank it several times for about 3 min total.

Also, the public works department put on duel exhaust. I don't think they came with that, did they?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my cable for the camera, here are some photos of the pickup at Ft Stewart. I passed this loader on the way there. It had bumper numbers and blackout lights. More to follow, including video of the truck on the rails!

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres some before the maiden voyage on the rails. Had all new fluids and filters, and the alts are almost new. Dash sucks. My buddy kept sneaking into the pics.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rail-gear is hydraulic, with a separate pump for each end. The wiring plug was removed for some reason from the rear pump, I had to rewire it temporarily.

Here are some videos!
The last one is a surprise! :-D

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Perfectly legal if you go on a NARCOA run or have permission or in his case...work for the railroad.There is an international club that does runs with the lil inspection carts and Hyrail vehicles.Santioned events and even week long runs across thousands of miles of rails.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may tow it to Haspin so I will have something to trailride in, but I'm worried about the low departure angle the rear railgear gives the truck. What do you guys think?

rideni

speaking as a railroader who has gotten stuck or seen people stuck too many times on gravel access road with hi-rail trucks don't. the extra weight and length play hell in off roading. it will get you stuck, very very stuck might lose the hi-rail gear in a recovery stuck

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
speaking as a railroader who has gotten stuck or seen people stuck too many times on gravel access road with hi-rail trucks don't. the extra weight and length play hell in off roading. it will get you stuck, very very stuck might lose the hi-rail gear in a recovery stuck
Yeah, the recovery is what really would bother me. Not worth it. Guess I need to find a m1008 for trail riding as well!

rideni

totally have seen hi-rail gear get fracked in impromtu recovery also the cab steps get beat to **** off road and sometimes come apart just by them selves.happened to a track inspector out here, non-reportable injury but we sure still laugh about it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks