• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rain Cap Flapper

CGarbee

I've got a flapper on my '83 M35A2C (ex USAF). Works really well, and I don't have to install/remove the big gulp...

acetomatoco

Air Force speced Deuces had the Flapper as stock...you can put one on your Army Model and be into the Wild Blue Yonder...at least a little... Da Army used empty coffee cans and a bungee... ACE

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is amusing when you forget to remove the big gulp and start the truck.....................My record is about 15 feet and one confused dog.

CGarbee

Yep, it's why I use a metal can on the M35A2 (water tanker..). More inertia when it hits... longer roll. :)

We talked about shooting cans for distance at Aberdeen on another thread, but since I will have the wrong truck, perhaps I should judge???

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't get much distance with my medium size cambell soup can, but it makes quite a clunk when launched. It stays in place when windy too. I took the label off and painted it black.

I have looked at installing a flapper too, but so far I have decided that I don't want to modify the exterior of my Deuce unless there is a good reason to do so.

PWM

In my area we seem to have three seasons, snow, rain, and stupid birds that can build a fifty pound nest overnight, I wanted to replace my plastic cup with a flapper. I always forget to put the cup back. I could have just went to my parts supplier and bought one but I have more fun when I build things myself. I dug some different thickness of bar stock out of my scrap pile and in a couple of hours had a working flapper. It is not fancy but keeps the birds out, also it's easier to send smoke signal now too.

Pete.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
2 issues:

I also forget to put the big gulp back, but it helps if I leave it on the PTO lever. That helps me to see if when I go out to shut the truck off from it's cool down period. Of course, you non winch guys can use that as an excuse to get a winch....

I have seen (SS member Squirt-Truck has one) a canvas slip cover for the stack. Let me see if I can find a pic.

Ooh goody, found it.

PWM

On most of the dozers and the M113A3 I operated the flappers rattled at idle, kind of annoying. When I made mine I balanced it so at idle it is almost wide open(square metal welded on the end). I also used a nut and jam nut on the bolt so I can adjust the tension, so no annoying rattle.

Pete

Bidslinger

Years ago I made a flap that fit inside the exhaust for a Case power unit. I modified the exhaust stack with a small hole right at the elbow near the turbo,when the engine was running the flap covered the hole when it shut off it automatically popped up. The flap was shaped to the inside of the tube and only half as tall as the tube was round in case it ever stuck. Used a springy piece of metal through the hole to pop the flap up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks