• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Raining m211s trans troubles though... To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

tburk49760

So now that I have one, I need two, right? While searching for parts for my XM 215, I came across another truck, m211. It has a lot of parts that I could use to finish mine. Including some good tires which I badly need. The seller says it will drive but the transmission will not work in reverse. I've seen a few pictures of it and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Not sure what to do. Any input gentlemen? I suppose I could take the best parts out of both of them and really make one nice truck for me, then put the other one together with the worst of the parts, then sell it for just about what I have invested in it. I think that in order for me to round up the stuff I need I would end up spending just about as much as buying this truck. And my just trying to justify another truck? Probably Aaargh.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How reasonable is the price? I usually look at this from 2 angles: Extra parts and time saved.

Extra parts -self explanatory. Just think of the cost in mounting 10 tires on rims. all you have to do is bolt on the ones from the other truck.

The time savings. I see so many people who go ahead full steam and later get burned out or life just takes over. Maybe instead of 2 months searching for a fuel pump or carb, you just walk to the back yard and swap them out.

A complete truck weighs about 6 tons. That is a lot just in scrap iron. 18 months ago, I pain $1200 for my red truck. 1 year ago, $2400 for the yellow truck. I bought another parts truck for $800 because it did not have a title.

Asls does it have a title? I would not pay more then scrap price for something that does not have a title.

tburk49760

I think I could drive it 100 miles home for $1200. Titled. Not sure how the tires are. My xm215 has the wrong bed and its really beat (the bed). I realize the m211 bed is wrong but I was planning on buying a t.o. m35 bed before I found this truck. Then I started thinking, kinda a shame to essentially part a good truck with only a bad trans. Dammit! I have too many projects already.

cmpman

The Dumps have a shorter frame than the cargo trucks, so in that case you would be better off with the M211 deck, although it will overhang the back by about a foot. A M135 bed would have to be shortened at the front for the wheel wells to be in the right spot, although with the smaller duals there shouldn't be an interference issue, but rather aesthetic.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the bed is worth $500
The truck will bring close to $1000 in scrap.
The title and data plate is valuable.
Mud boggers and truck pullers pay well for those axles.
I could go on, and I have in previous posts, so I won't again.

Even at $1200, it is still a money maker. There are many trucks out there just like this one. Most have bad transmissions and brakes. If I was going to restore it, I'd find a solution to the transmission issue before it becomes a money pit.

Dan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks