• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ralph's M37B1, rebuilding a spare engine & Webshots pix

Carter

I have posted this on G741 and thought, for those who missed it, I'd post here also. Thanks for looking. Carter

I am posting this for my friend Ralph. We spent the last couple of days tearing down a spare engine and today took the block to the machine shop to be cooked out and have cam bearings, valve guides, freeze plugs installed along with having the valves ground after having hardened seats added and other necessary work. The rebuilt engine will be installed into this truck replacing the one in it which runs ok but is a civ. truck replacement block with the press in oil fill tube.

More pix on Webshots at: http://news.webshots.com/album/567052133FgKHzt

and info later as work progresses.

amanco

RE: Ralph

Was the broken piston skirt the only piston damage found? I have heard the reason for so many broken rings was the end gap clearance wasn't sufficient. I am beginning my 230 rebuild now also. Haven't tore down yet, hope internal damage is a minimum.

Carter

Re: RE: Ralph

amanco said:
Was the broken piston skirt the only piston damage found? I have heard the reason for so many broken rings was the end gap clearance wasn't sufficient. I am beginning my 230 rebuild now also. Haven't tore down yet, hope internal damage is a minimum.
Yes that was the only damaged piston we found although we also also discovered that pistons connecting rod bearing cap was also loose and seemed that it was not torqued at all. The crank was slightly rough on that journal but salvageable and it seems as if the engine was not run long after the reassembly. Also, whoever had rebuilt the engine last time had removed the cyl. wall ridge and replaced the rings and bearings did a poor job of putting it all back together. The ring gap was good and the pistons were clean but they didn't clean the old sludge from the oil pasages and valve galleries. It was just a half a$$ed rebuild job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks