• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ran out of fuel ):

mcmullag

sliding fuel pump/pick-up thingy

Like Mike mentioned, the unit in the tank is able to be slid up and down
so depth of the unit, as it sits in the tank, may be changed. Any owner may want to check how far from the bottom of the tank, your fuel pick-up/pump thing is set at currently.

RAYZER

Like Mike mentioned, the unit in the tank is able to be slid up and down
so depth of the unit, as it sits in the tank, may be changed. Any owner may want to check how far from the bottom of the tank, your fuel pick-up/pump thing is set at currently.

wish i had checked mine while it was out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can verify the intake pump is working by turning the power on and cracking the bleeder in the secondary and final filter housing. No need to pull the pump if fuel comes out.

RAYZER

You can verify the intake pump is working by turning the power on and cracking the bleeder in the secondary and final filter housing. No need to pull the pump if fuel comes out.

you can also tell by , if theres fuel splashing back into the tank via the tank return line.

Yohan

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but wouldn't fuel come out of the bleeder regardless if the fuel pump was on or not as long as there was fuel in the filter? Are you saying that the fuel will gush out rather than dribble? Pardon my ignorance as I'm still learning!

mcmullag

primarily regarding the secondaries.......

Re: the question a couple posts above.......The secondaries sit high up on the engine and the bleeders are on top of them, so appears you would need pressure to get fuel out of there, not a gravity situation. Check out some engine pics on deuces for sale on GL and you shall see the light. [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, fuel will possibly dribble out of the filters bolted to the side of the motor. If the pump is working, it should spray out.

Yohan

Got it! Bleeder Vs. drain valve. Told you I was learning- Thanks for the clarification![thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only thing that lies more consistantly than a career politician is a deuce fuel guage.

If you open the cap and cannot see fuel in the bottom of the strainer you are below half a tank.

I carry a paint stirring stick in all my trucks to "dip" the tank with.

After running out of fuel a few times on recoveries I have learned my lesson.

Mr Murphy loves a fuel optimist ("I'm sure I have enough to get to the fuel stop").

panshark

ok, so if the ip will draw off of the tank without using the in-tank fuel pump, is it possible to run the duece without the accessory switch on, and what would be any possible ramifications to such a practice?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
ok, so if the ip will draw off of the tank without using the in-tank fuel pump, is it possible to run the duece without the accessory switch on, and what would be any possible ramifications to such a practice?
Once you crank the truck it will run with the switch off......but your gauges will not work and your batteries may not charge....also no headlights, turn signals or brake lights.

airmech3839

I have found those pieces laying in the bottom of my tank the last time I ended up draining the tank... But my pump works fine... must be spares.... I hope.:roll:... I have not removed my pump since I bought my truck a year ago... I drive mine alot and have not had any trouble out of the in-tank pump.... but sure enough a say it it will crap out on me...aua

kastein

I always check the fuel level in the tank itself. It does not matter how far I am going its just become part of my pretrip inspection.
That said my Grandpa used to say, there are three things you can never trust
1. lawyers
2. politicians
3. gas gauges
This is the honest truth... the gauge in my 96 cherokee reads a half a tank below real level (but is otherwise good), the gauge in the 91 comanche reads in reverse and nowhere near linear, gauge in the 98 cherokee reads correctly but randomly twitches to empty, the gas gauge in the 5ton actually seems to read better than any of the others! I ran out when the needle went a little below empty. Fortunately, I was carrying a 5 gallon civvie jerry can and I only "ran out" because I was going up the incline from the street to the gas pump at the station rofl ran out 30 feet short!

That's why there is a place on the driver side running board for a jerry can...:wink:

I've learned to keep a full one with me at all times. You never can trust the gauge...
I actually have a separate jerry can I keep in each vehicle... along with a fire extinguisher, fuse kit, lug wrench, jack, spare tire, and tire plug kit. I call it "abusing murphy's law to my own advantage", I haven't had to use anything except the jerry cans on my own vehicles but I usually end up using the other stuff on someone else's after pulling over for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks