• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Random items found in HMMWV

Maverick1701

I rented a 4x4 pickup in Alaska for my Dalton Hwy Trip. Apparently the truck was a former USAF truck (those blue F350 4x4 crew-cas they use). Under the back seat I found bolts/nuts w/CARC paint, a few grenade spoons.

In my M35A2 I found a map pouch

Wire Fox

Heh, finally my turn! My truck was jammed full of goodies. Being sold as a non-runner with no transmission, transfer case, propeller shafts, doors, or inner doghouse cover shown, I was very pleased to find both doors (bad windows), the doghouse cover fully in-tact, a new-looking AMG 242 T/C in plastic, and both missing prop shafts (for 4L80E/242 combo...like they were expecting me to convert it), The photos also showed that the muffler section of the exhaust had a broken pipe; that was still there, but there was a brand new muffler section also sitting in the back. Lastly, there was no brush guard pictured, but I found the Luverne Grill Guard happily waiting for me in the back as well.

Now for the extra stuff that's not just base equipment to the truck... I found 4 AS3900 antenna segements-3 top element sections and 1 "center element" section; a full scissor jack assembly, lug wrench, a tool bag with two screwdrivers and two wrenches, a gas can spout, and a road triangle kit; two small dimmer knobs with a light in the center of each-unsure of their application; edit a new-in-plastic PVS-14 mode knob; a two-position telescoping bar that I need help identifying (pictured below); a bracket that I need help identifying (pictured below); a pair of ESS sunglasses that look pretty good; a brief letter to the C2 explaining why my truck is NMC, what they're doing about it, who can be contacted (lists names and phone numbers), and it's dated 15 June 2015; and a whole lot of MRE, snack bag, and dead battery trash all over the truck.

Some other things that I thought were notable about it is that there is a ground lug still attached to the truck, the SINCGARS power cable is still in-place and wired up, the antenna cables were all left in-place with the connectors cut, the tail gate has two bolts left in it to possibly hold a convoy sign, and there is a post on the right-hand side of the windshield for possibly mounting up a convoy beacon. EDIT: Also noticed that my windshield has at least the front brackets already installed for the 2-door cargo rack.

If anyone thinks they have a solid idea of what this truck's mission may have been, please tell. It's got enough oddities for me that I'm just not sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The battery cables for the SINCGARS are generally not removed, just the radio and other associated equipment (tuner, receiver, etc)

Guyfang

Staff member
In 1992, I got a call to "Come quick" (in german) over to a controlled climate vehicle storage building, in Miesau, Germany. I walked over. I often had to translate something from german to english, or english to german. When I got there, about 5-6 germans were standing around a M113 rear door. One guy babbled, "Look, look, look,look," over and over again. I thought maybe someone had died in the darn thing. I poked my head in. Lo and behold, an M16A2 was in a weapons holder. I scooped it up, called CID and then sat down to wait. It was a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG day. Really, how many ways can you say, "I don't know how it got there, the track just came back from down range and can I go back to work now".

Years later, (after the SECOND sand wars) I was inspecting equipment for the army in Giebelstadt, Germany, that had just come back from down range. I hate trucks. And I hated to inspect trucks. Because it was cold, I hated it even more. In disgust, I opened up the glove compartment of a 5 ton, and hoped I would find someone else's TI, so I could copy it, and get out of the cold. Instead, I found a double hand full of documents stamped, TOP SECRET. You can guess how I spent my afternoon.

Ryantee14

my hmmwv was a reserve national guard veichle so it had the typical stuff mre matches/ tm-10 and pmcs log booksx3 and cases /night vision battery very sure its dead/ grid compass/ singal panel even had an old sticker to what unit it was sent to
wooden box in the back were the range control guys had computer equipment a bunch of 550 cord pieces some type of mounting bracket not sure were it goes/ 2 fire Exinguisher holder loose in wood box
that was about it
Cq141,
How do I get records of where my truck has been and what unit it belonged to??.it was from utah.

Wire Fox

Cq141,
How do I get records of where my truck has been and what unit it belonged to??.it was from utah.
There was a guy on here that used to look up serial numbers in an Army database to show where the vehicle's last unit was, but he doesn't do that anymore. They even made a sticky about it in the forum where he used to offer that. Otherwise, it's all up to you to look over the vehicle for any information that might give up its history, like old paperwork floating around, looking at numbers that are still legibly painted on the truck, and using some context clues based on what equipment is installed on the HMMWV and what base it came from. I was lucky enough that a note about my vehicle's last maintenance order was stuck in the mud in the back, which confirmed why it was declared NMC and also provided the unit information. As well, I found a piece of waterproof notebook paper that was covered with artillery firing orders and the coordinates agreed with the unit's operating area (training exercise in Camp Atterbury).

nspctr1

while finally getting a little time to clean the truck I discovered that on the inside door pillars? there is "US ARMY NG 456F"painted in 3" high letters. Any idea where that unit was located?

hank22

I found a cell phone

I found a Iphone The battery was dead but after recharging it, I found out who it belonged to in Crisfield, Maryland. The last time the phone had been used was in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy struck Crisfield, MD. I called the original owner of the phone and got the story behind the Hmmwv and how it ended up for sale. I was surprised the cell phone worked after 4 years once it was recharged in late 2016. I returned the phone to the owner he was happy to get all of his pictures back.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
while finally getting a little time to clean the truck I discovered that on the inside door pillars? there is "US ARMY NG 456F"painted in 3" high letters. Any idea where that unit was located?
It's the registration number for the HMMWV... aua

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found tire chains under the rear seats of a M1038, a crumpled stained map and a empty water bottle with foreign writing on it!

I found a Iphone The battery was dead but after recharging it, I found out who it belonged to in Crisfield, Maryland. The last time the phone had been used was in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy struck Crisfield, MD. I called the original owner of the phone and got the story behind the Hmmwv and how it ended up for sale. I was surprised the cell phone worked after 4 years once it was recharged in late 2016. I returned the phone to the owner he was happy to get all of his pictures back.
Don't hold out on us, what is the story behind the hmmwv?

Last edited:

formula223

I found what appears to be the build sheet from AMG stating the options, paint color, date of build (11/93), and destination (Navy) in my M998. It was in a water and dirt filled plastic bag in the battery compartment. The sheet is hard to read and I'm trying to find someone who can clean it without destroying the print. Also a bag of bolts, door mount, and NATO slave plug.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After about 30 trucks I have found all types of fired cases, MRE's, tools,slave cables and a used condom (I think, didn't examine too closely)

DLJIII

My truck came from a private owner that cleaned it out and by cleaning it out he power washed the interior and found nothing but, spent blank cases. When, I started digging in and doing a proper interior refurb, I found more blank cases, a bunch of spent .45acp cases and a crushed Lt. Col shoulder insignia. The bird held up but was flattened as it was under the flooring insulation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks