• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rapco green bleed thru, will this go away as it cures ??

auctionaddict

Painted the bed today, no rust, just faded so I didn't use primer.
Sprayed 2 heavy coats (almost 2 gallons) and I can still se the camo pattern underneath, Will this go away ?

paint1.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does change after a couple of days.

It may not cover everything but the color changes slightly. When fresh it looks wrong and after a couple of days it sort of changes into a more CARC like color.

auctionaddict

Thanks, If it doesn't go away in a few days, I will just put the black and brown back on her !!

It does change after a couple of days.

It may not cover everything but the color changes slightly. When fresh it looks wrong and after a couple of days it sort of changes into a more CARC like color.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you might be seeing is the difference in thickness of a few mils due to the the brown and black over the base green. Everything is covered with new paint but it is not a flat surface if that makes any sense.

Woodsplinter

Expanding on what juanprado said, did you sand everything first? The edges where different colors meet will have a very slight "height" difference.
I sprayed my deuce with Rapco and had no issues like you are having. I sanded the camo smooth but not to metal as it was simply faded but well adhered. I did not use primer- used 24052 Marine Corp. Forrest green, semi-gloss.

Woodsplinter

Also, how long did you wait between coats? A "heavy" coat might require waiting overnight to allow the first coat to finish off-gassing.

auctionaddict

I scuffed with a maroon scotchbrite, The surface felt smooth.
I waited about an hour between coats, It was dry to the touch but maybe not gassed out long enough

zout

Another way to think of paint - its just a skin.
Previous products used their own specific reducers and chemicals - that was for their product.
Other manufacturers use different chemicals and reducers (some reducers might be the same but their paint chemicals are different)

Think of the mix of an Oreo cookie - and a Mrs Fields chocolate cookie - both chocolate - but different ingredients - you cannot combine the two.

If anything a primer should have been sprayed to seal off all the below chemicals - paint layers. Some paints will "move" under todays products - that is why the green lime looking etching primer is hardly used - it moves.

Give it some time in the sun to dry out - then use lighter reducers on it making it a little thicker and closer just to paint and spray - this might help seal up the below surface colors bleeding through. But primer/sealing the old to new would have been much better - again an example - use that Kiln primer to prime inside your house to seal off all the undercoats - the new paint looks fresh and old does not bleed through.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks