• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RAPCO Spray Can paint issues

rolling18

I should say rapco spray cans

I decided to do some touch up on the Deuse the other day and ordered RAPCO "686" tan carc substitute NEVER again!!!

luckily I only ordered 3 cans as a small test batch. the paint itself was a good match and texture. the CANS however are very poor quality.

5 mins into spraying, it started "splotching" instead of spraying messed up my finish! after calling to nitify them their "advise" was to take the little spray nozzle apart and clean it out!!! WTF?? they said it sometimes globs up and blocks the air.

ok so I go to store to buy pin to fumble and take this thing apart i find no globs but put it back together and it works!! .... for a 4 more seconds and spatters all over again, I do this little routine 9 more times before its all dried up in a big mess and I still have 2/3 of can left.!!

They even provide 2 spray tips extra and they BOTH clogged shortly after!!!
good paint but what good is it if you cant get it out of the Fuqing can??!!
they would not even replace the defective cans!! talk about a ripoff!

and YES i know how to use a rattle can, Ive used 100's however the cans thy send you look to be "homeade" like in their shop or something.

this is TOTALLY unacceptable now i have crappy splotchy finish and lots of paint stuck in cans!!

Last edited:

M215

I have used Rapco's paint for years. Yes the spray cans can be tough to deal with some times. Usually I'll shake them for a long time before using, 15 minutes. After using, I soak the spray nozzles in a jar of thinner. So if a new one clogs up, I just grab another and keep going. Good quality paint, spray and gallon.
Just my $.02

rolling18

I have used Rapco's paint for years. Yes the spray cans can be tough to deal with some times. Usually I'll shake them for a long time before using, 15 minutes. After using, I soak the spray nozzles in a jar of thinner. So if a new one clogs up, I just grab another and keep going. Good quality paint, spray and gallon.
Just my $.02
thats a great tip! looks like i will have to hassle with more chemicals to attempt to get the rest of my paint out,

Im just pissed that this keeps happening in beginning of a paint job EVERY time i spray more than a couple seconds after any amount of shaking..
thank you

i sent Rapco a summerized version of this complaint, well see if they step up to the plate this time

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The type of paint requires very through shaking before starting, and frequent pauses to shake it up while using it. Live and learn. I have some Krylon and Rustoleum brand paint that has done the same thing. If I stop and shake it up a lot, it wortks fine!2cents

rolling18

yes I shake the cans so much my hand and lower arm are bigger now! and kinda tired

ill try letting all my tips soak.. but they still wont spray more than a few seconds longest was 10

Bill W

The cans have always been a issue
You need to shake the can quite a bit before using, of course it'll still clog
Heres a quick fix thats worked for me, pull the spray tip off the can and you'll notice a slit on the neck, that's where the paint come's up from the valve in the can and to the tip, this slit gets clogged so take a razor and clear it out and cut the slit a little wider ( not longer ) and you'll usually be good to go for the whole can.[thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that tip Bill.
I have used Rapco paint for years and always been happy with it.

The only colour I have had trouble with is Seafoam Green which gave me the same frustrations Rolling had (though I haven't used the 686 tan). I can usually get most of an item painted before the nozzle clogs up.
I found that regular switching of nozzles helped, each used one going into a jar of thinner as it clogged.

The paint itself is great. It has a high particulate content, which is probably what causes nozzle issues.

Cheers

flyxpl

If it is clogging up that is a sign that it needed more shaking before use . You are picking up settled pigment in the bottom of the can .

3dAngus

Glad to see this thread. I ordered a case of Rapco 686 tan today. What timing.

I usually like to sit the spray cans overnight, after a light shaking upside down, in an aluminum box. I put a lamp with 100W bulb in the can and close the lid, making sure the bulb is not touching any can. It acts like an oven. The cans are warm to the touch for a few minutes but they shake up real nice and it helps to thin and mix the paint up. I have been doing this with Krylon Camo with geat results and zero problems. The spray pattern is much better, more even, and stays that way to the last drop. I do shake every now and then just for good measure. I'll try it with the Rapco and report back when it comes in.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am real happy with their gallons,I have also had some trouble with there spray cans once in a while.Sometimes when It first comes out it is globby,I usually pray it on some test metal first.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i too am on my 3 case of cans from rapco and i had a couple small issues but i usually have plenty of spare tips left over i just grab another one.. love to paint.. and yes those cans are made at the plant using there gal paint. so kinda homeaid. ill buy again soon :beer:

Jared

You can clean the paint out of the nozzle when done painting by holding the can upside down then spray until clear. When the can is upside down the tube in the can is now above the liquid so the propellant cleans out the nozzle. Has to be done shortly after you're done painting.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been frustrated with Rapco cans from time to time and use these steps like some have said.

Shake well before using and frequently during use.

When done turn can upside down and spray to clear tube.

Remove nozzle and soak in lacquer thinner for a short time and then wipe of the front of the nozzle and use compressor to push a short blast thru the slotted pickup tube.

All I know is that if I do these things I do not have a problem and if I don't, I generally have a problem. Particularly with Semi-Gloss OD. I stick with Rapco because their spray cans match their bulk paint perfectly.

Good luck.

wehring

Operator error

I have used their rattle cans for years. This paint is thick and needs more that a brief shake to spray correctly. This sounds like operator error...

Before you blast them for not cutting their rattle can paint to a water like solution I ask that you learn how to use what they offer.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

SixSpeed

Banned
I have had NO luck with Rapco cans, never spray hardly at all. Two exploded in a recent shipment and I got NO response from them. On a $1200 order no less.

RealCavDog

Seems a bit of a harsh condemnation of a vendor that many endorse and seem to defend ? Understand you may be having problems, as we all have with products from time to time, but from one newer member to an even newer member, I have to wonder if asking for advice or input first would have been better recieved ?

Not at all telling you how to do anything, but I have to believe that thier product is by far thicker and heavier than the average, so adjustments and techniques may have to be changed ! Have read several remedies and solutions that may help, but just seeing the thread title seems to rub the wrong way, in my humble opinion.

Hope you find a remedy in all the posts, and will look forward to seeing how it works out ! Good Luck !

Have to add this, nopics

olewhiskey

Didn't have time to swap out my dented tank for a parade tomorrow so I touched up the scrapes with a can that's been sitting under the drivers seat . Looked pretty good to me. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks