• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rat rod

ez8

Personally I wouldn't do it, but that's because I think rat rods are kind of silly. That being said, the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter what I think. :-D I never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't save them all , but I wouldn't hack up a restorable M37. I'm sure there are some basket cases out there what would work before the go to the scrapper . I would also try to salvage anything your not using for the rat rod and pass it along to someone restoring one at least then parts can live on as they were intended.

71m109a3

You can't save them all , but I wouldn't hack up a restorable M37. I'm sure there are some basket cases out there what would work before the go to the scrapper . I would also try to salvage anything your not using for the rat rod and pass it along to someone restoring one at least then parts can live on as they were intended.
+1

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one that looks military but probably irkes some purists, it's got a 4 cylinder
Detroit tucked down under the hood. It was at the Clare Michigan show last august.

Attachments

SEABEE77

Thanks guys ,was thinking along the lines of a basket case all I really need is body maybe frame have a 12 valve cummins to power it with from their
its all up to amagination .with that said I'm in southern il if any one knows were one may be 618 407 2202 Al

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to see this! https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?115161-hot-rod-deuce-and-half&highlight=

The M37 boys talk about a tight cab, no leg room, can't move the seat back....it would be important to get some real measurements before committing. There is a sweet yellow M37 running around here with a cummins in it and the guy said the swap was fairly simple.

There were 100,000 + early deuces pumped out so using a cab off one of these can clearly work.

Welcome to the site and hope you post up any plans and accomplishments.

SEABEE77

thanks ,m1010plowboy that build is very cool ,going to take a breath and investigate a new direction the best thing about rats is their are no limitations

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know SEABEE I always thought in some deep dark recess of my mind that a 37 could have some interesting possibilities? I very quickly admonished myself for such sacrilegious thoughts!!! I am one of those guys who still thinks its a sin to Bob a Deuce but I have come to the point that I dont have to like it but its NOT my truck, my only request is you build a 37 Rat Rod make it one that we could all be proud of, make it wicked SEABEE!!!!
Karl

nattieleather

It's your ride do with it what you want. Someone will give you grief no matter what you do. Could be perfectly restored to factory just rolled off the assembly line and some "expert" would tel you that you were wrong....so you want a rat rod...make it a rat rod....you want it to be motor pool ready make it motor pool ready. Again it's your ride enjoy it.

tobyS

Putting M37 rat rod into Google brings up a lot of "images".

Having a dually pickup donor could be really interesting. You could go really low with just 2 WD.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seabee, if you buy a M37, it is YOUR truck. You get to do whatever you want to do to it or with it.

Some people like to keep them stock, some do minor modifications some do major redesigns. On your truck you exercise absolute "command discretion" and you have 100% control of the budget.

So, let us know what happens; and be sure to post pictures!

tobyS

I'm sure whatever you come up with will guide your decisions to make the most from what you have. Good luck.

I like the Cummins but it will be tight, especially if you try to maintain 4 wheel drive. Maybe a 4BT. I mention a dually as a donor...to keep the CG low, but have the drive line strength to take what that 6T Cummins can give (+ it's weight).

I'm having thoughts/dreams about a mid engine truck, maybe use an LMTV bed I have with a 5th wheel under a plate. My donor being an F450 van-bus. The suspension is very low, underslung and wider than a pickup dual, so the bed top could be much lower to the ground than most beds. Hmmmmm thinking??

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I remembered this posting where others tore it up for the front springs.

Golly, it went on and on and on from the people that did not build it.
But I liked it so much, I followed it long time.
Yeah, You do what you think is right.
Let the others fail to imagine your expertise.
Make it for long time GI.
They can be.
Work Work Work.

rat rod  cherry hill.jpg

SEABEE77

Good evening,
Want to thank every one for the positive feedback,Right now my plan is to research,keep my ears open to input from others,keep a open mind.and find a vehicle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks