• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ratings for shackles and pintle hook? how to open the hook? And starter ?s

motormayhem

Also, recently got my starter replaced in the shop (it had other problems so i had him just do it) and i kept telling him 24v, says he rebuilt mine. But its really fast now, like turn the key and she starts within 1-2 seconds cold, no gas. This normal or sound too fast? (im hoping he didnt throw in a 12v starter) He did seem to tune it up too, she runs much much better now. Thanks
Thats what mine does and it seems to be fine.

mistaken1

Yeah, I've read a lot of stuff like that, but when you're actually in the field, there are more than enough variables at work that nobody is going to sit there and try to figure out what's what. The important thing is that whatever the shackles and pintle hitch are "rated for," in practice, they're more than strong enough to be effective in pretty much any off road scenario.

The key being keep the bystanders back and try to not be in the position the strap/chain will occupy if something breaks. I saw a chain come free and shoot through the back window of the pulling vehicle and leave a welt on the dash. Luckily no one was hurt.

Another time I saw a car towing another car at night, they needed cross a busy 4-lane road. The towing car was in the center turn lane while the towed car was still on the side street. It was about that time that two lanes of oncoming traffic struck the chain that was stretched between the towing and towed vehicles.....

maritimer

if your are going to use a chain, put a nylon tow strap either between the hook and tow vehicle o the hook and towed vehicle..
as for what a m1009 can pull well i can assure you that the pintle as well as the shackles will hold loads varying betwen 6000lbs and 12000lbs of dead weight. i know this because i have used mine to do this on several ocasions, now for trailering capacity i wouldnt not pull a trailer heavier then 2000lbs , as to prevously mentioned safety issues. i am sorry but the short wheel base and sloppy brakes do not make it a very pleasent expierience on slick or in a hurry braking situations.

motormayhem

How is the pintle hitch supposed to be attached on the m1009? Mine has no support on the bottom and it appears (there are two holes) that something may go there. Otherwise it would appear to just bend out during heavy pulling. A picture would be great.

Thanks,
Miles

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is the pintle hitch supposed to be attached on the m1009? Mine has no support on the bottom and it appears (there are two holes) that something may go there. Otherwise it would appear to just bend out during heavy pulling. A picture would be great.

Thanks,
Miles

Try looking in the TM's ending in P. They are the parts manuals(exploded views, and part numbers).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks