• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rattle can'ing a M923

quickfarms

The little sand blasters do work well and there is one that recirculates the abrasive so it does not make that much of a mess but you can not watch it work so you out it over the spot and pul the trigger and then remove it to check the progress.

fakefrank0002

"I use a wire brush and Rusty Metal Primer from Walmart. I too store my trucks outside under the element. Not sure what kind of look you're after, but the Rapco paint is pretty glossy. I do all my trucks with Home Depot Behr Exterior Flat Latex. The paint is really good. I wouldn't go with anything else. It is inexpensive, flat almost like CARC, tough once cured, and found it is resistant to NAPA brake cleaner fluid.
Home Depot can match the paint exact! Just bring in a small patch of paint (just peel it off your fender). You'll want to wait until the weather gets a bit better though
. Here's my latest Behr Paint truck "
Attached Thumbnails

Can you please say the exact name of the paint that you use? I went looking and Behr has a lot of different formulas, the closest I could find to what you said is a acrylic latex with "built in primer and nanoguard", the Premium Plus Ultra. Is that the right one?
How do you apply it and how long does it last on your trucks?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you please say the exact name of the paint that you use? I went looking and Behr has a lot of different formulas, the closest I could find to what you said is a acrylic latex with "built in primer and nanoguard", the Premium Plus Ultra. Is that the right one?
How do you apply it and how long does it last on your trucks?

Did you check the paint information sticky in the paint forum on SS?

Vintage iron

I have been doing commercial paint for over 20 years now. I started off working on fishing boats here in New England. Ospho is one of the best products that I have used that stops and converts rust. I don't recommend POR 15 unless you have heavy rust. It has poor adhesion on anything but really rough metal and then it topcoats poor. I personally would recommend ospho, primer and topcoat for a quick fix.

tobyS

That's a really nice looking paint job 98G. If you do camo, will you use the brown 383 and of course black?

If you find a surplus of new bed tarps let me know.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a really nice looking paint job 98G. If you do camo, will you use the brown 383 and of course black?

If you find a surplus of new bed tarps let me know.
Will do on the tarps.

If I end up adding splotches of color to this one it'll be the brown 383 and black. I find that I prefer mostly green and black with just a little bit of brown. Dilligaf's deuce gives me ideas of just accenting the plain OD with some black here and there.

98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20140517_104601.jpg20140516_063555.jpg

My latest truck wasn't nearly as rusty as the above m923a2. This one I'm just spot sandblasting with a $20 HF sandblaster and then rattlecan spraying with the rustoleum paint. I'm doing it in small sections as time permits, front to back. You can see in the pic that I've painted up to the toolbox, but not yet hit the toolbox.

Artisan

Buy a handheld glass bead blaster that runs on shop air.
You will be done in minutes, blow the beads off and hit w/ primer
and repeat till all rust is gone. Easy.

F18hornetM

For those hard to get at spots on the frame or heavier sheet metal, a needle scaler works well. Nothing beats total sand blasting but it is expensive and time consuming and messy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks