• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rc car nitro as fuel ?

Kawgomoo

Banned
"most" large rc planes are gas not glow.

i dont know where you get your sweeping generalizations on what "most" planes use as fuel. Things have changed a bit. Most planes aren't fuel at all anymore. The vast majority are brushless/lipo electric.

I use exclusively O'donnell fuels.

Odonnell fuel comes in 10 15 20 25 30 40 even 50% nitromethane mixtures, all run castor. the vast majorities of their land fuels are 20-40% nm 8% oil while most air fuels are 10-30% nitromethane 18-21% oil, Boat fuels are oily like air fuels, but come in even hotter nitromethane concentrations.

http://www.odonnellracing.com/racingfuel/index.html

http://www.odonnellracing.com/airplanefuel/index.html

But since you like cox, even there modern blend general aviation fuel is 25% nitro and 18% oil.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDBNH&P=FR&gclid=CIGgw5fLvbwCFVGVfgodgkgAOg

I think we've also missed the point the nitromethane and gasoline dont mix. It will fall out of solution, and best case evaporate. Nitromethane is an oxidizer. Volatility and tankful of diesel dont really mix.

One should research what Nitromethane {a weak organic acid} is also used for, besides an industrial solvent and oxidizing performance enhancer.

One should note the production of high explosives, such as tnt. And other blasting mediums such as ANFO which is ammonium nitrate {an oxidizer} and FUEL OIL. Hey, isnt nitromethane an oxidizer too?

For what its worth my childhood mentor was Bubba Newman, an A/Fc racer from the 60's and 70's. I was instructed to change crankcase oil after ever pass because nitromethane contamination could cause the engine to explode. As in blow the oil pan clean off the motor. Never seen it happen, just did as i was told and took his word to be sound advice. Some years later this advice was repeated to me by my instructor at a technical college. He was an avid drag bike guy. He noted the same reasons. For all i know, this is urban legend. But again. I have never been given reason to doubt it, and chemically it seems to make sense.

Best Case the methanol in the fuel isnt good for any rubber in your system... Would you poor a couple gallons of HEET in your tank?

Follow whatever advise you choose, it is only worth what i charge for it.

Last edited:

auron

I used to have a nitro 3.3 revo rc car that I ran on 30%. The thing would scream down the road. After I sold it I used the half gallon of fuel as a grill starter, burns nearly invisible during the day bluish purple at night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks