• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-geared my M1028 to 3.73

combat jump

After reading all I could find on these boards about gaining highway speed for my daily driving M1028, I went with the re-gear option. Here's why:

1. 700r4: I like idea of a 4th gear in the slushbox, but the 700r4 swap seemed pretty involved (spline matching, possible transfer case swap too, getting the shifting right), and I would be reluctant to use a questionable junkyard transmission. I'd want to rebuild it first to better match the beefy 1 ton running gear, so more $. I have a pretty well equipped garage and have done simple transmission swaps, but have never done a swap like this, so I'd have to farm out the work to the pros.

2. Overdrive: A Gear Vendors OD is 3 grand, and I didn't want to spend that much.

3. Lift/Tall Tires: Tall tires with a lift COULD be done on a budget, but I know that a properly done lift can approach a couple grand. Would need to buy the tires, too. Plus, I don't want the lifted look.

4. Re-gear: Downsides of a diff gear swap are that its expensive up front. Mine was $2,100 out the door. I'd rather not have altered the famous 4.56 gearing, either. I lost the limited slip capability on my Dana 60 (still have the original parts but they don't match with the 3.73 setup). I could buy another limited slip or locker to replace it, but that's not a priority now. Also, the installation required special tools and some skill (I have not done one before). Ok, the upside is that an offroad shop can knock one of these out in a few days. Its the quickest way to be keeping up with freeway traffic, and maybe the cheapest.

The truck drives MUCH better on the highway. I estimate I have gained +/- 12 mph at the same engine rpm as before. There is still plenty of low speed grunt to get the truck moving, but I can notice less power at highway speeds.

But with what I saved over a Gear Vendor OD, or custom built 700r4, I can put towards a used eBay Sidewinder turbo. :)

Finally, I know that there are lots of ways to do #'s 1 through 3 above. Yes, I wish I could have done it for less $$. For me, this was the way to go. Now I am moving on to finish painting it. (shot it with Rustoleum last week, will shoot Rapco 686 next weekend).

Attachments

67_C-30

That is a great mod for them. 4.56's are just too low for a 6.2 powered truck with stock size tires. Even at 55mph, the truck is running so high above it's torque peak that they drag off on hills worse than trucks with higher gears. If you put a turbo on it with the 3.73's, you'll have a great all around rig.

ODdave

too bad you didnt post you where in need of a 4.10 & down track loc case...... I have an empty one i would sell and you could put your guts in it so you could have a limited slip.

combat jump

too bad you didnt post you where in need of a 4.10 & down track loc case...... I have an empty one i would sell and you could put your guts in it so you could have a limited slip.
Doh! Well, I didn't know that it wouldn't work out until I got a call from the shop with their "discovery" :( Thanks, anyway. To put it in now would require a whole new "diff service", and I have other priorities to fix - tires for starters. Upholstery. Dash. Tachometer.

Hey, I went to school in E. Lansing and have lots of family in MI.

ODdave

Yea, gears are my "thing" lol. E Lansing as in MSU ? I never went to school there but i shure did learn alot by joining in a few "beverage based" gatherings !rofl

combat jump

Yea, gears are my "thing" lol. E Lansing as in MSU ? I never went to school there but i shure did learn alot by joining in a few "beverage based" gatherings !rofl
Yes, I did go to MSU. Left early to enlist. I used to go to the Rathskeller bar back in the day, (hmm, who was president then?...)

Looks like CUCVfreek will be getting my old gears. :)

motormayhem

I did the opposite on my m1009 haha, went from 3.08 to 4.10 with my 36" tires. What rpm do you run at on the highway? 55 for me is about 2200. Speed limits here are 75 on the highway, but I dont like to see the rpms that high for sustained driving.

combat jump

I did the opposite on my m1009 haha, went from 3.08 to 4.10 with my 36" tires. What rpm do you run at on the highway? 55 for me is about 2200. Speed limits here are 75 on the highway, but I dont like to see the rpms that high for sustained driving.

Motor,

Not sure what my RPMs are without a tach, so that's another near term addition. Also, my speedo needs recalibration. I'll check the speed with a GPS soon, and post.