• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-painting New Wheels That Already Have a Factory Finish

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a set of new steel wheels for my M38, and they all already have a new factory glossy gray paint finish. How does everyone get the factory paint to a point where they can apply their own finish? I am looking for an efficient and effective method to scuff the paint to a point where I can apply rapco primer, then semi-gloss OD 23070. I’m thinking wire wheel then a good degreasing & cleaning. Just looking to see if anyone has a better method that doesn't involve blasting to bare metal.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some 220 and scotch brite pads to scuff it . and do a test spray on the backside of the wheel to make sure its going to bond then if all is well squirt it !

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to blast to metal. Just rough the surface. If you have a compressor, you can get a cheap media blaster that holds maybe a quart of media (looks like a paint sprayer). I do that with play sand (with protections) for cheap. Any other method by hand will miss the crevasses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks