• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-Powering The Deuce With A 5-Ton LDS-465-1A Engine

TacticalTruck

i did not get into army trucks for the fuel economy :lol: i don't check it but i have not noticed any excessive fuel consumption.

yes, you need to use the deuce bell, flywheel/ clutch. you will need to save the power steering pump block off plate unless you intend to run REAL power steering.

given the choice i'd pick the TD block.

jeff

SasquatchSanta

My new LDS-465-1A "TD" engine arrived Friday. I've got a lot of homework to do to get everything all in one pile before installation which will hopefully be in late October.

Following are some pictures.

I'm thinking that the discharge flange dimentions on the LDS turbo are quite a bit larger than on the LDT. Does anyone know the dimensions of the exhaust discharge flange on the LDT C or D turbo?

Several months ago I bought a complete stainless exhaust system for the LDT. To salvage some of that I've already got and to relieve backpressure on the higher capacity LDS engine I'm going to fabricate a cross-over pipe and install a second stack on the drivers side. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to have to go with a larger diameter J-Pipe as well as a different pipe that connects to the turbo. Given that I don't want to have my truck down for several days I need to build or buy some of this stuff in advance. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right jeff, it's the same size motor and i don't think from a practical point it makes any more power than a 'turned up' ldt and i've had both. dual stacks and twin turbos............. now where can i find a 9 litre international??

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think dual stacks would be unnecessary.

ditto

5 tons don't require dual stacks-I'd look and see if multifuel 5 tons have a larger exhaust pipe and mimic it if they do.

SasquatchSanta

The lifting bar came with the engine. Someone put a lot of work and thought into it. Evidently the rear hole is for lifting the complete power-pack. When I get into this project I'll make a sketch of the bar and post it on the SS.

I always assumed that the exhaust system on the 5-ton was larger therefore the concernes about getting the standard deuce LDT pipe plumbed into the turbo as well as capacity problem concerns.

DanMartin

I can take pics of my deuce with the LDS motor in if you need any ideas on how it's done, or questions about placement of stuff. Looks like a clean install on mine (Kudos to IMP).

I was able to pull 6% grades through the Wallawa and Blue Mountains of Oregon with ease...never got below 45mph even on the tough grades, and only had to downshift once (due to a slower moving truck ahead of me), so it's definitely worth the effort. Oh...and the temp never went up over normal the whole trip, about 75 degrees ambient, and unloaded. Some of the grades were several miles in length through corners. I got close to 9mpg with 9x20s.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m-35tom said:
both engines have oil cooled pistons. the lds has passages in the pistons that the oil flows through to cool them a little better. i think you can turn the fuel up to almost 200 hp on the ldt, i have done this on all my trucks and get a boost pressure of 12 psi instead of the stock 9 psi. post turbo temp of 1200f. not afraid of hills, very good performance.
post turbo of 1200? that's the ragged edge, isn't it?

SasquatchSanta

I can take pics of my deuce with the LDS motor in if you need any ideas on how it's done, or questions about placement of stuff. Looks like a clean install on mine (Kudos to IMP).
I'll take all the help I can get.

I think it's going to be a simple swap but it's something that needs to be thought out. As previously mentioned, once we pull the trigger on the project I want to have everything on hand.

I'm attaching a picture of the discharge flange of the LDS-1A turbo. The I.D. (bore) is 3-1/16" and the O.D. of the end flange is 4-1/4". I need to verify if the LDT C and D turbo dimensions are different and if so, how different. I can fabricate ("make fit") an exhaust system but if I'm going to need a different sized flange area pipe (where the pipe mates to the turbo) I need to get it on site before we tear the truck down.

I also need to sort out what I'm going to need to buy in the way of oil pump pickup tubes etc... I "think" all I have to do is install different pickup tubes and reverse the pan. My existing LDT-1D engine is a perfectly good motor therefore I don't want to canabilize it. I'm either going to store it for future use or sell it. If anyone has what I need please PM me.

I'd also like to install a pre-lube system and a remote by-pass filter to go with Builder 77's
5 micron spin-on filters. This would give maximum protection from the get-go.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C & D turbos have the same size flange. The older LDS engines had a wastegated turbo that matched the size of the pipe. When the gov't started using C & D turbos on them that adapter helped it all happen. The gated turbo looked like the one on the LDS427 IIRC. What you have on there now looks to be the common D turbo. Once again, take that adapter off and your current exhaust will bolt right on.

Monty

m-35tom said:
also as to the radiator.......... when i had the 3208 cat motor i did not even have a shrould on the rad fan and had no problem with cooling. but, i did have a good radiator that i serviced and made sure the tubes were open before i used it.
Not to steal this post but how did the 3208 cat work out? I see one for sale locally and thought that It may make a good swap for my gas engine in the 5ton.

DanMartin

SasquatchSanta said:
I'll take all the help I can get.

---snip---

I'm attaching a picture of the discharge flange of the LDS-1A turbo. The I.D. (bore) is 3-1/16" and the O.D. of the end flange is 4-1/4". I need to verify if the LDT C and D turbo dimensions are different and if so, how different. I can fabricate ("make fit") an exhaust system but if I'm going to need a different sized flange area pipe (where the pipe mates to the turbo) I need to get it on site before we tear the truck down.
I try to snap some pics of mine...the exahust work is a bit custom, but looks very good. I'll do my best to post something tonight if I can get home from work before it gets too dark.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
monty, the 3208 is just a very noisey engine. the fuel knock is very loud and i had to have hearing protection not because of the exhaust but because of the engine noise. i had a new engine and we chased the noise several times even changing brands of pistons. but as i said i had a stock ldt radiator that had been cleaned and with no shroud for 3 years and 10000 miles. the only time it ran hot was above 5000' altitude because the fuel rate was too high.

No.2Diesel

So am I right in saying that the only difference is the Turbo and the injector's as JimK stated? Or is the cam different too?

------------------

That would be a worthwhile upgrade.

TacticalTruck

When the LDS first came out it had a different turbo and injectors but they switched to using the same turbo, injectors and cam in the LDS and LDT. Most of the LDSs you'll find are like Santa's above which are basically turned up LDTs.
Jeff

spicergear

I have a stock, but recored and banded, radiator in my 'A2 infront of my 1160 Cat. The 1160 is the predecessor to the 3208. Same block and heads...different injector pump and front housing--to keep it simple. Mine is also the 225hp NA engine so it's making that hp without any boost and it has no heat issue whatsoever. Biggest load so far was 10,200# in 5 Red Oak logs hauled to a mill. I have that pic of ole 'Blue' with that load. I'll do a then and now just for grins... :) OH, added a pic of the driver's side stack I slapped on for the V8.

Attachments

Monty

m-35tom said:
monty, the 3208 is just a very noisey engine. the fuel knock is very loud and i had to have hearing protection not because of the exhaust but because of the engine noise. i had a new engine and we chased the noise several times even changing brands of pistons. but as i said i had a stock ldt radiator that had been cleaned and with no shroud for 3 years and 10000 miles. the only time it ran hot was above 5000' altitude because the fuel rate was too high.
Thanks it was just an idea, I may look at changing the gas engine to a multi fuel or some diesel engine as I learn more about waht was offered and what would make a clean efficent install.

Thanks
Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks