• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-torquing head bolts?

m1008chevy

I have a M1008 that appears to be leaking coolant out the bottom center of the head (where the head attaches to the block, under the exhaust manifold). Initially I thought it was the freeze plugs so I replaced them, but now it looks as if the leak is coming from above the freeze plugs. I have checked the rear crossover cover and the fast idle sensor at the rear of the head, and they aren't the culprits. The truck does not seem to burn coolant, or have any other symptoms of a bad head gasket. The head gaskets are original to the best of my knowledge, or at least have not been done post 1996. My question is if I can re torque the lower head bolts in order to stop this leak, and to how many foot pounds? Any input would be appreciated.

Drock

Well you could try to re-torquing them (90ftlbs). But chances are the gasket is shot.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Re torque is useless. If they are leaking they will be leaking no matter how tight you make them. Besides if you break the bolts you are up the creek.DSCF2390 (1).jpgDSCF2473.jpgDSCF2476 (1).jpgDSCF2477 (1).jpgThis was a perfect running engine. I removed it to rebuild the entire truck. It has 45K miles on it and I know who owned since it had 16K on it 20 years ago. I started to remove the heads anytime I pull and engine and do a rebuild anymore. they are worn out and rusted thru. This engine ran perfect and the heads were sent to the machine shop and both had cracks. I would say time to change the head gaskets if they are leaking. Good Luck. Do both at the same time and have the heads sent out and checked at a good reliable machine shop or you are wasting your time. New torque to yield bolts are required. No need to get fancy and use studs. the bolts latest 30 + years. Where will you and the truck be in 30 more years? It is a 6.2 135 HP it will hold up and is as easy as pie to work on.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are torque to yeld bolts. If you try the will streach and put you back into the same boat. Looks like it's time to pull the heads. Did you overheat it? If so the gasket is bad or it's cracked.

m1008chevy

I put the Acdelco seal tabs in the rad on Wednesday, and drove the truck to work about 20 Km today. They seem to have stopped the leak. As for clogging up the radiator and heater core, from what i've read GM uses this product in some of the vehicles off the lot as preventative measure to ensure there are no leaks. It sure beat doing a head gasket job, if it holds up. My fingers are still crossed. Appreciate everyone's input.

MarcusOReallyus

I put the Acdelco seal tabs in the rad on Wednesday, and drove the truck to work about 20 Km today. They seem to have stopped the leak. As for clogging up the radiator and heater core, from what i've read GM uses this product in some of the vehicles off the lot as preventative measure to ensure there are no leaks. It sure beat doing a head gasket job, if it holds up. My fingers are still crossed. Appreciate everyone's input.

I'm not surprised. I have used various "snake oil" products over the years, and many of them work quite well. It depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

Drock

I'd use this short reprieve time to collect all parts necessary to replace the head gaskets & find a machine shop. Don't be fooled the gaskets are on their way out soon! Mine started slowly, pressurizing the cooling system and pushing coolant out of the overflow bottle. I limped it another 10,000 miles till it gave up. When I pulled the heads all the pre-combustion cups fell out! I ended up replacing the heads with new 6.5 castings & ARP studs.Screenshot_2017-08-25-23-28-03.jpg