• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-wiring glow plugs

detroitdiesel4x4

I bought my truck with no operating glow plugs. The Card wasnt working, so i ran it to a momentary switch to find out the selenoid (new style) isnt working either...not that i would use them considering the wiring must have about 8 splices per wire, 12gauge wire into 10 gauge, 14 into 12 etc. etc....some blade connectors missing, wires just tied together, just total garbage. Not to mention the glow plugs look like junk, and i'm a bit afraid to attemp taking them out because i have a feeling 8 out of 8 of them might be swollen.

Anyway, i plan to rip the wires out and replace them all. I work for an electrician so getting the parts to do this is not a problem. I already picked up the blade connectors and a spool of 10 gauge stranded wire free of charge. :beer:

Anyway, i cut the end of the wire off to see what size blade connector i need, and brought it into work to get the right stuff. The wire on the end was 10 gauge, and it looked like it was crimped onto a peice of 12 or 14 gauge, but my boss actually pointed out that little wire was a fusable link.

Is 10 gauge stranded wire the proper wire for the glow plugs? What size, and where would i put a fusible link if one is needed? Can it be replaced with an inline fuse or something alittle easier to replace?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last six or so inches of wire is fusible link. The wiring diagrams have the wire sizes.

your boss knows his stuff. Show him the diagrams along with the first few pages of the troubleshooting section and he can point you in the right direction.

fuses and fusible link wire do two totally differnent jobs.

Last edited:

detroitdiesel4x4

I just read the fusible link sticky...If 10 gauge is the correct size for the glow plugs, i should use about 14 gauge fusible link from the blade connector about 6 inches up then...

Would it be okay to solder/shrinktube this together and just leave some slack to solder a new one in in the even it fries? Or is it reccomended to be crimped on?