• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

re-wiring my MEP-004a for different voltages, including single phase

sewerzuk

Ran fine before conversion and runs great when I start it hasn't shut down on me
no warning lights even after a reset
only gauge that moves is the hertz when I hold the start switch up with power, max it reads is 50 hz and goes away when start is released
oil, fuel, temp gauges, amp, hour meter all work
no change when I switch transfer switch
Did it produce power before you did the conversion?

If the freq. meter only goes up to 50hz while you have the start switch in start, then you likely are running the generator at too low of an RPM. Try speeding it up a bit, and then re-flash the field (place the start switch in start with the set running).

If the frequency meter is moving with the start switch in start, then the field flash is probably working and it is probably producing power...I'm guessing that the engine RPM is just too low. The regulator/exciter on those sets is designed to "roll off" voltage at low RPM to avoid excessive field current.

Last edited:

Xiphiasman

yes it produced power before
I get the 50hz at about 3/4 full rpm full rpm no difference
wish it was that easy do get a little movement on the volt meter when max rpm but only 2 dashes

sewerzuk

yes it produced power before
I get the 50hz at about 3/4 full rpm full rpm no difference
wish it was that easy do get a little movement on the volt meter when max rpm but only 2 dashes
Well, if it produced power before the conversion, and it doesn't now...I have to conclude that it was something that happened when you did the conversion.

If I was in your shoes, I would move all of the leads back to their original locations and move the heavy jumper to take the place of the cut bus bar, and try running the genset again. If you get power then, you know that you missed something in the conversion...

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ran my 30kw for 5 years, burned 2 gal an hour @ 15% load average. Would run 12 hours on a tank.
Changed to 15kw, House/garage/heatpump now run about 25% load average. Burns 1.5 gals an hour. Makes a difference in the long run..only
Kevin..

Xiphiasman

switched back to the 3 phase configuration all gauges worked got power but now it's shutting down after 20 seconds. that was never an issue before, I do have fuel getting to injector pump. guess i need to get it running before trying phase conversion again
any thought why it shutting down?

sewerzuk

switched back to the 3 phase configuration all gauges worked got power but now it's shutting down after 20 seconds. that was never an issue before, I do have fuel getting to injector pump. guess i need to get it running before trying phase conversion again
any thought why it shutting down?
Are you getting any warning lights/alarms with the shutdown?

sewerzuk

no lights (which work) just hear the motor losing rpms and watch the frequency meter drop
This is almost certainly a fuel problem...
Normal things to check (even if you do see some fuel available at the IP):

1. Leaks in the fuel supply line (including in the fuel filters)
2. Fuel level in the day tank (includes operation of the lift pumps, solenoid valve, and float switch)
3. Clocked/blocked fuel filters and/or fuel line
4. Air in the fuel line
5. Blockage in the fuel return line
6. Faulty/defective injection pump

You can check several of these things by turning the start switch to run, disconnecting the fuel line to the IP, and let it flow about 1 gallon into some kind of a catch can. It should take less than 1 minute to fill up the can...if the flow diminishes quickly, you have some kind of issue upstream. I have worked on a LOT of these that ran well at first, but then sucked up a bunch of crap into the fuel system; clogged screens on the lift pumps, seized the lift pumps, clogged the fuel strainer in the water separator, clogged fuel filters, and clogged fuel lines.

Xiphiasman

slowly drops rpm's..fuel filters are new sounds like it staving for fuel ( but why now was running great) I am getting fuel to the injector pump. in the process of checking return line and other things thanks for the list and
thanks for the quick responses
should I move off this thread and start a new one? not sure how to get last couple replies to follow in the future

sewerzuk

slowly drops rpm's..fuel filters are new sounds like it staving for fuel ( but why now was running great) I am getting fuel to the injector pump. in the process of checking return line and other things thanks for the list and
thanks for the quick responses
should I move off this thread and start a new one? not sure how to get last couple replies to follow in the future
Yep...probably best to start a new topic...

Harleyd315

We received an 003 and an 005 for our Fire Dept. We intend to use them during power outages and floods in town. Most of the power will be used for civilians to pump out their homes and stores. The 003 was set at 120/240 single ph and mounted on a trailer. The 005 is on the 2 1/2 military trailer. Yesterday we completed the conversion on the 005 to single phase. The whole job took about 2 hours and went well. Our bus bar was mounted on the bottom of the reconnection board and was riveted to the board as well. That was the most time consuming part of the job as we removed the bar to cut it. Too many wires in the way for me to be cutting with a dremel, just my comfort level. I changed the other wires as the video describes and fired it up. It works great. Many thanks sewrzuk for your time and effort on this project. I will post pictures once all the breaker boards and outlets are mounted to the trailers. Thanks again :grd:

sewerzuk

We received an 003 and an 005 for our Fire Dept. We intend to use them during power outages and floods in town. Most of the power will be used for civilians to pump out their homes and stores. The 003 was set at 120/240 single ph and mounted on a trailer. The 005 is on the 2 1/2 military trailer. Yesterday we completed the conversion on the 005 to single phase. The whole job took about 2 hours and went well. Our bus bar was mounted on the bottom of the reconnection board and was riveted to the board as well. That was the most time consuming part of the job as we removed the bar to cut it. Too many wires in the way for me to be cutting with a dremel, just my comfort level. I changed the other wires as the video describes and fired it up. It works great. Many thanks sewrzuk for your time and effort on this project. I will post pictures once all the breaker boards and outlets are mounted to the trailers. Thanks again :grd:
Glad I could help!

CT-Mike

So I have been a member for awhile now, but mostly just lurk and read. I have been looking at getting a MEP for a couple of years as a whole home backup, but was worried about unbalanced loading while pulling single phase. This thread has me convinced to do it, especially when I look at the prices of Kohler units.

I do have a couple of questions:

- What are you guys doing for fuel supply? Can I feed this thing from my home heating oil tank in the basement?
- Will a MEP-004 fill my needs?
- 8 person hot tub (3 2.5 HP jet pumps, I believe the heater is 1.5 KW). The tub gets used 2-3 times/week
- Electric dryer
- Electric stove
- Oil fired hot water heater
- Single central air unit for entire house 2400 sq ft
- Woodstove blower
- Pellet Stove blower

House has 200A service.

Great thread sewerzuk. BTW, coner or nuke? I spent 20 years back in the engine room pushing.

leedawg

Well are you going to be running all that stuff simultaneously? Id say if you had all that going at the same time the mep 004 probably will not be able to do it or at least only for a short time before the overload safety kicks out. However I dont see you using your AC at the same time your Heating your hot tube unless you like soaking when its 100 degrees out.

I have similar loads plus some. My ac unit is probably bout twice the size of yours and I went up to the mep 005 but we have irrigation wells and pressure pumps that are running off of it as well which add a load.

As for fuel I cannot speak on home heating oil im not even sure what it is. I have natural gas at my house for heating. Is it similar to diesel or more unrefined?

I am burning Red Farm diesel in my unit runs fine on that however thats what it was designed to burn. As far as I know these are not multifuel engines. I think you can put JP4 in which is pretty much Kerosene (jet fuel) however again I am not really hundred percent sure on this somebody will have to check me on it.

You should consult the TM and see what it says for fuels to use. Hopefully somebody can chime in that knows more about heating oil and how it plays in a diesel engine.

Munchies

As long as you don't have 4 burners on the stove going on hi, with the AC, while drying clothes, and playing in the hot tub all at once, the 004 will do it.

You should be fine on home heating oil. Did they change that over to low sulphur?
Might need a lift pump to get it to the set's auxiliary input depending on distance and height.

Last edited:

CT-Mike

I did forget to mention the well pump. Obviously not everything wi be running at once, but the hot tub does get used when it's hot out, we just adjust it down to 85 degrees F.

As for the fuel, my understanding is home heating oil is th same as highway diesel with red dye added since it is t taxed.

Do the MEP's have the ability to draw fuel up from a basement tank, or would I need some kind of pump?

Also, what is everyone using for a transfer switch? Ideally I would like to set this up to auto-start and transfer on loss of power but not sure if that is possible.

Munchies

I did forget to mention the well pump. Obviously not everything wi be running at once, but the hot tub does get used when it's hot out, we just adjust it down to 85 degrees F.

As for the fuel, my understanding is home heating oil is th same as highway diesel with red dye added since it is t taxed.

Do the MEP's have the ability to draw fuel up from a basement tank, or would I need some kind of pump?

Also, what is everyone using for a transfer switch? Ideally I would like to set this up to auto-start and transfer on loss of power but not sure if that is possible.
It can draw from.the auxiliary port but I have no experience other than a 55gal drum 2ft away.

I suspect the sulphur ppm is higher on hho, which is a good thing, the injection pump will love it.
No auto start provisions. Everything is manual. Throttle for Hz, knob for volt adjustment, etc. you would have to build something like sewerzuk did (search "PLC controlled mep-003A" on google ) or retrofit a modern digital controller like I posted about yesterday.
More things to fail with an auto setup in my opinion. A big manual lever is pretty bulletproof.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks