• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready to buy in Maine

hampy123

Hello all,

I recently moved to Maine and found a deuce I was thinking about buying. How does everyone up here register their deuces? Commercial? Antique? Farm? What DOT/commercial issues do I have to worry about?

Hello all,

I recently moved to Maine and found a deuce I was thinking about buying. How does everyone up here register their deuces? Commercial? Antique? Farm? What DOT/commercial issues do I have to worry about?
Register as an antique if possible.

The Deuce's weight is under CDL so you will not need a special license. But if you are registering as an antique, DOT does not like to see it being used for work.

Welcome to SS, are you in NH or Maine??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would register it for the way you intend to use it.

Tlauden

Welcome to the nut house. Sorry i cant help ya with any of your registering issues, But I can tell you insurance wise mine is a commercial vehicle for private use, maybe that will help? anyways, i hope ya get it figured out then when ya get a second one it will be super easy since you know what your doing:) Ya, i said a second one, ya NEED multiple. I started out just like you only a few months ago back in February with my first deuce, and now got my eyes on them there 5 tons. Its a fever that wont go away quickly (or cheaply):mrgreen::mrgreen:

So again, sorry i cant be of more help.

And WELCOME from PA

Tyler

Katahdin

Welcome to Maine as SS!

At the Maine Rally last month both commercial and antique registered deuces were present.

You'll be dealing with the BMV in Maine for your license, registration, etc. DOT just take care of the roads and bridges. My BMV experience was good. Note, you only need a title if the vehicle is 1995 or newer, older than that you just need a bill of sale.

Mine is registered an antique and I'm using it as such (parades, show, etc) at the moment. Antique Auto is defined as:

3. Antique auto. "Antique auto" means an automobile or truck manufactured in or after model year 1916 that is:
A. More than 25 years old; [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

B. Equipped with an engine manufactured either at the same time as the vehicle or to the specifications of the original engine; [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

C. Substantially maintained in original or restored condition primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest; [1997, c. 653, §2 (AMD).]

D. Not used as its owner's primary mode of transportation of passengers or goods; [2005, c. 314, §1 (AMD).]

E. Not a reconstructed vehicle; and [2005, c. 314, §2 (AMD).]

F. Not an altered vehicle. [2005, c. 314, §3 (NEW).]
A good place to search and read state statutes is here.

My State Farm insurance policy, however, is classified as commercial and is written up for antique use but allows some non antique use such as camping, firewood hauling, etc. Since its not my primary vehicle then I think those are acceptable uses under the "D" part of the definition of Antique Auto.

Hope that helps!

hampy123

Im in southern Maine.....Sanford area.

I thought about registering as antique, but would also like to use it for joy rides and some work. What fun would it be to only be able to use it for shows and events without being able to go out for a nice Sunday cruise?

I know I don't need a CDL, but I guess I'm confused on some of the registrations and rules you have to follow in Maine. From registering my F250 it seems I would have to register it as commercial. But, where its over 10K lbs would that mean I could need a DOT # and have to follow all that non-sense?

I'm curious if any has registered theirs as a farm and/or agricultural vehicle and if that would make things easier??