• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Real emergency brake

MRDunlap

Hello, im currently shopping for my first Deuce, M35a2.
My biggest concern is the brakeing system. Has anybody came up with a seprate "emergency brake" to top the truck in the event of a complete brake failure, air or hydrolic leak?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a fantastic idea. If only...

But nothing workable has presented itself

Dual circuit brakes are the solution. But problematic to retrofit. Clinto is working on a retrofit solution now...

MRDunlap

Duel circuit solves the hydrolic leak issue but what about a air leak or line failure? I was thinking something like exhaust or pinion brakes, both have there own issues

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust brakes are great - I have one on my 1ton Ram. They work better at higher RPM. They're great for slowing, not so good at stopping. Not like a real Jake.

Pinion brakes - the largest disc you can fit just doesn't have enough meat on it to stop you. Brakes convert kinetic energy to heat. 14k @ 50mph melts it before dumping much velocity.

Air leak - you still have brakes, just not assisted.

Line failure - in dual circuit brakes you have half your brake system intact.

Last edited:

rustystud

Duel circuit solves the hydrolic leak issue but what about a air leak or line failure? I was thinking something like exhaust or pinion brakes, both have there own issues
Modern trucks just have dual circuit systems, so why is it worse in a deuce ? Get stainless steel brake lines ( or that stuff Peashooter had) and your good to go.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't find the pic, but when visiting Commerce Trucks Wildervank (surplus Dutch and Nato army), I saw something approaching that on a different type of truck. That truck used the same type of hand brake which is part of the drive shaft.

What they had done was making a separate air circuit and use that to manage the original handbrake with an air brake work cylinder in between. So more and stronger power to the original handbrake, and in case of air failure, the hand brake starts functioning automatically. The air brake cylinder was mounted on the driver beam of the chassis, a bit backwards of the brake drum on the axle

They claimed it was efficient, certainly as parking brake. How it worked like real emergency brake, I do not know. Probably, only a good dual circuit can be a real "emergency" brake system.

MRDunlap

I seem to be stuck on the M35a2, still shopping around. Looking for one i can get a deal on that may need some TLC. All I have found are priced kinda high $6-7k and above

MRDunlap

Hydra max bakes sound great. Looking at a M35a2 so i would have to ad a power steering pump as well but is a good option, thanks for the link

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jeepsinker from the above referred link, post 192

... Even if we could just fit the air actuated park brake assembly from a 939 truck onto a deuce, that would be a massive improvement. It might actually stop the truck in an emergency...
That sounds and looks a bit like the Dutch guys were doing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks