• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Realign steering wheel after lifting

richingalveston

you can not adjust the steering wheel in the column. the wheel is keyed to the shaft via the interanal parts and the horn button.
you must do by dropping the pitman arm and resetting on the steering box if you do not have enough adjustment in the tie rod ends and steering link.

sweetk30

the drag link from the steering box / pitman arm to the steering arm / on the knuckle is this adjustment point .

and the lift kit if 3" or more should have included a raised steering arm for the knuckle on the axle .

the drop pitman arm is a lot more rare to get in a kit and cost a lot more . also only does 2-3" correction .

the raised steering arm for the knuckle can do 3-6" of lift correction .

also this steering arm info is only good on 1/2 - 3/4 ton front axles . the dana 60 under 1ton stuff is a whole different animal .

for dana 60 axles there is a few places that sell a raised arm . but most give you a spacer block that SUCKS !!!

if going about 4" on a 1ton axle go drop pitman arm for steering box . if more than that do crossover steering for best results .

Last edited:

Barrman

There are a bunch of little bitty splines around the steering shaft with 1 big spline. The only way to put the steering wheel on anyway besides how the factory put it is to use a file and flatten a few of the small splines.

If you look at the steering wheel there is a notch under the horn plate showing where it should line up with the notch on the top of the shaft.

richingalveston

Sorry, I have a different pitman arm, You are correct that the steering shaft is keyed on both ends.
I do not have the stock front axle and steering.
sorry to confuse anyone.

fitz

Am I missing something here?
I was able to reposition my steering wheel by disassembling my column down to the horn contact ring (the green plastic piece in the pics).
Its the prong on the horn contact ring that dictates the position of the steering wheel, not the splines themselves.
There are lots of YouTube video's that show you how to change the ignition lock on a GM column. This project is a little less involved then that, but the videos are a great reference. Follow the video up until the part about removing the lock (although now is a great time to re-key your truck).
In the video's they talk about putting a witness mark on all the parts to make sure that they go back to the correct alignment. Your just skipping that part to adjust the wheel to recenter it.
You will need a steering wheel puller & a lock plate comressor., and a torx bit.
If you need more detailed pics, let me know.

Attachments

sweetk30

see the notch in the end of the shaft . it lines up to notch on wheel .

moving the wheel this way yes fixes that problem . . . . . .

but still the steering box is off . so you max out early 1 direction of turn and have to much the other way .

this is why the adjustment is on the drag link from the pitman arm on the box to the steering arm on the knuckle .

fitz

Thanks SweetK30, that explains it.
Mine steering wheel was just off a few degrees after I installed 2" HD Tough Country springs. I decided to play around with the horn ring to straighten the wheel out when I had the column apart to change the ignition lock.
With the steering wheel straight I can turn it aproximatly 1.5 turns to the left or right (3 turns lock to lock).
I'm wondering if I should put the horn ring & wheel back the way it was and adjust the drag link to make things right.
It is nice driving an old truck with a perfectly straight steering wheel going down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks