• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Realistic mileage for a deuce

weld88

Hey guys I am curious at what the realistic mileage is for a deuce before complete engine rebuild or tranny? It seems every deuce I see for sale has somewhere in the 30XXX range for miles (mine included) and the highest I've seen was around 47000.

So with proper maintenance is it possible to see 80K from a deuce without engine rebuild or tranny? Curious to know if other members trucks have "higher miles" for a deuce?

Thanks

welldigger

If taken care of, I see no reason why a multifuel can't go 100,000 miles. Truth of the matter is most of us don't know the full history of our trucks. Meaning we have no idea how abused it was in the military or by the previous private owner or owners.

In my line of work it isn't uncommon to see a drilling rig mounted on a deuce. In fact one of my local competitors had one. They used the rig for probably 8 to 10 years. The rig is normally powered by a pto of some sort so whether the rig is moving from job to job or drilling the engine is running. I remember they always claimed it was incredibly reliable. I imagine they put 4-6000 hours on it. Then they sold it. Its still drilling somewhere.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are very reliable if taken care of. Change all fluids in the truck when you get it including differentials, transfer case and transmission. If you drive them and run the engine, they are golden. What does damage is sitting for too long and the seals get dry and crack and cause problems later on. Don't abuse the truck but drive the truck like its meant to be driven and it will run great. When I bought my first one over the summer it ran ok but the longer the trips and the more often I drove it, the better it ran. As far as the original mileage and service records, they are hard to get, but at least the parts are readily available to us as a consumer.

weld88

So I done the reading that m16ty attached and the conclusion I gathered is multi fuel engines will more than likely have a short life. Now my question from reading that is was there any improvements? I have a 1987 Hercules multi fuel engine LDT 465 which I would hope they made some improvements? I do know that there were 3 manufactures continential, white and Hercules, out of those 3 is one more desired over the other?

welldigger

Manufacturer isn't really important. On "paper" they are all the same. Some may prefer one brand or the other but nobody can prove that a White is better or worse than a Hercules. At least no evidence to that fact has been provern yet. The newest and most "improved" version would be the "D" series engines. Such as LDT465-1D vs. LDT465-1C. Improved head gaskets and blocks come to mind. Not sure what else they changed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks