• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Really dreading what this sound could mean... Any ideas?

wisconsinz

https://youtu.be/o0UHTgBGyTY

Putting my ear to the oil pan is where it's loudest, or maybe just beyond it, more towards the rear. It stops when I put it into gear sometimes, but usually I can hear it again at random times when I'm driving. I know it leaks oil, and possibly ATF. I haven't had a chance to clean it to figure out where exactly the leaks are coming from, but I recently topped them off. There's nothing in the way of the fan or belts. I'm really dreading how major this could be.

Any ideas? Thanks.

- Ryan

welpro222

Maybe my hearing is bad, but it sounds normal? Video sounds never really work unless its very loud. Anyways first check the torque converter to flywheel bolts, make sure they are all tight. Also check flywheel for cracks or breakage too.

infidel got me

noise

The bolts on the bottom of the torque convertor cover should have two rods that run up to each motor mount if I'm not mistaken. If they are missing you will crack your transfer case-- ask me how I know.

Pull the inspection cover and take a look see.

Last edited:

Drock

Yeah I'm with welpro222, loose torque converter bolts are a common problem with these trucks. I'd check that first.

welpro222

The rods that connect the bell housing to engine mounts, are not that important. But... I installed them on my m1008, because they can hold the tranny to engine when those bolts come loose. Yes this has happen to me on my k5 6.2/700r4, I believe these rods saved my tranny from breaking the housing.

86m1028

Hard to tell from video but it could be an exhaust leak.
Cracked manifold, collector, exhaust pipe near collector.
Loose torque converter bolts, cracked flex plate ect.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Exhaust leak at manifold or intake manifold exhaust leak. I had one with a C code set of intake gaskets. And it came from Uncle Sam that way. Black everywhere on right side of engine at CDR valve.