• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Really need help! Completely dead.

My wife was driving my m1009 home and it died. Completely died. No electric, no engine, no nothing, right while she driving. She had both alternators charging. Now there is no lights, no cranking, no glow plugs etc. The radio still works. Only thing I can think of is the ignition switch, as the radio is independent of it. Everything else is switched off and on by the switch to prevent battery drain. Anyone ever have this happen? Also, why did it die?. Shouldn't a diesel run without power with a mechanical fuel pump?
This has otherwise been a very dependable machine.

dependable

The first thin I would check is the 12v supply to junction block [on most cucvs this is the wire running from front of rear battery to driver' side on fire wall] , could be you had a short and blew the fuseable link.

Barrman

Yes, start simple with the battery cables and work your way to the ignition switch. Make sure you spend time at the harness plug behind the fuse panel on the engine side of the firewall. Use a test light, volt meter or have something simple and low draw on such as the running lights. You can see them come on or hear/see the spark when you find move the problem.

rod

The fuel shut off solenoid is electrical. Big pink wire on the front of engine.
It's not the pink wire causing the problems, because he said no cranking.

I've been thru the pink wire issue. My M1009 would crank over fine but would not start. Called a CUCV friend who told me to look at the pink wire. I saw that it had come off. Put it back on and it started right up.

davey8943

Rod,

I think he was pointing out that the Pink wire needs 24 (or is it 12) V to allow diesel fuel into the distributor pump, and then into the engine...

CUCV's will not run without some source for voltage, they do not have a fully mechanical distributor pump.

Dave

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the pink wire causing the problems, because he said no cranking.

I've been thru the pink wire issue. My M1009 would crank over fine but would not start. Called a CUCV friend who told me to look at the pink wire. I saw that it had come off. Put it back on and it started right up.
One of the OP's questions was why a diesel wouldn't keep running. If no power to the pink wire for the injector pump it won't run.

3dAngus

Radio is low draw. Lights more. Take off all battery connections and reattach.
You should have lights.

killer_kricket

I am having the exact same issue with identical symptoms. I have been working on it for several weeks and have found a variety of problems.

My first recommendation is to do the doghead relay fix. I believe this is where the problem originated, because my starter also stopped working, and it was only 3 months old. If you can, test your starter, (be careful they kick hard when they aren't bolted down), and see if it is dead.

As for the lights, I have found a few fried grounds here and there meaning there was some serious voltage hitting the system. Check all of your fusable links and replace anything that looks burnt. I feel like there is a major short somewhere in the light system, but there is a lot of wire to look at, it takes time.

Also, it sucks pretty bad to buy two new batteries, but mine both got fried in this incident. You might need to replace those. Check your alternators as well, or take them to an auto parts store to get them tested, mine had a bit of barbecue on some of the wires.

Also, you may want to check any wiring you might have previously done, like off road lighting and such, and repair work.

I downloaded the information off of the sticky posts about the engine wiring right above your post, and am now running through those systems and finding bad wires. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and check the pink wire, mine was disconnected as well.

killer_kricket

Update!!!! I have lights. Some of the fuses were blown even though they didn't look it. All I need to do now is replace the starter relay under the dash and the glow plug relay as well. It just started buzzing, so I might as well just spend the cash now so I don't have to make 2 trips on the tow truck:wink:.

Had to run to town and get brake parts for my wife's vehicle, then blow out the drive and shop lot, then put hers together. Tomorrow upward and onward to the cucv. Bought two 40 amp breakers to wire is parallel for a fuse-able link, will try that first. Fingers crossed.

rod

Rod,

I think he was pointing out that the Pink wire needs 24 (or is it 12) V to allow diesel fuel into the distributor pump, and then into the engine...

CUCV's will not run without some source for voltage, they do not have a fully mechanical distributor pump.

Dave
You Right, I missed the fact that he wanted to know why the diesel wouldn't run without the electrical system.

TCUCV

Sorry if this is a stupid question, not an electrical genius . . . but what do you mean by a fuseable link? Hope you get your truck figured out,

Thanks,

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having a lot of trouble locating the Napa part# 7-01860-1 (SME line) directly out of the doghead relay modification, is this part discontinued?

Sometimes with the NAPA website, you will have to remove the dashes from the part number.

Lookup 7018601, it is listed and cost $14.49 ea.

You can use many different relays, this is just one solution that DOES work. NAPA lists it for a riding lawnmower.

Just make sure that what ever relay you use, that it doesn't use the mounting bracket as a ground.

killer_kricket

So I buttoned everything up today and had everything finished. I went to start it and when the wait light was on, the GP solenoid began buzzing rather loudly. When I started cranking I got some very weak cranks, then when I let off on the key the starter kept cranking and the relay under the dash fried and started smoking. I have not yet done the relay mod as per the doghead method, but the whole situation is what happened in the first place.

Will the relay mod prevent this, or is there another problem as well. The batteries are supposedly fully charged and are definately brand new, and I cannot figure out why the GP solenoid is buzzing. I just replaced it with a new one, the same type I have previously installed that lasted two years up until this situation.

Any Ideas?