• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear and Side Mounted Cameras

Bryteayes

I've seen several pics of cab interiors that have multicam video displays of rear and side views. Given my mirrors tendency to rotate so I get excellent views of my door, does anyone have experience with brands that work well and/or brands to avoid?

ramdough

I have not installed yet, but I bought this one.

My plan is to buy multiple cheap single camera ones verses a larger screen with multiple views.

Hope to to install this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BTW, if you register your camera, they send a second camera free. My plan is to have 3 of these. One rear/front, one right rear/front, and one left rear/front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third From Texas

First off, address those loose mirrors, That's sorta a safety issue..

As far as camera systems, there are some good kits out there.

I've owned a few of the really cheap Chinese b/u camera kits and (for the obvious reasons) they never seemed to hold up. The displays are the usual failure point over time but I've even had the actual cameras fail.

For this truck I decided to build my own, There's really not much to these camera systems.
1) camera(s)
2) monitor that can support x-number of inputs (ie: cameras)
3) and an optional recording medium (that can also be used to expand the number of inputs and how they are displayed)

Cameras are pretty generic. Each needs 12v power and a wire to send the image to the display, but that's really it. No moving parts to fail (but they can still die on occasion due to impact or environmental damage). Most cameras output will typically be compatible with RCA/AV connections (and the 4-pin wiring is slowly becoming more the standard). IMO (20 years in IT), I much prefer wired solutions over wireless. Wired is as bit more installation work, but not much (you still have to run power to each camera anyway). Being wired removes a lot of the issues that inherently come with wireless devices/communication (disconnection, signal loss, interference, etc).

Monitors are often where companies cheese it with the cheap stuff in the kits. They tend to be quite small (by my standards) with really poor quality and resolutions. I much preferer a minimum of a 10" display (currently have a 12" monitor for my camera setup). The only caveat to consider with the monitor is the number of inputs the display has (which can dictate the number of cameras supported by simply plugging them in). If a monitor has RCA/AV, HDMI, VGA inputs they can all be used to connect a camera. And depending on the monitor they can often display all the inputs in split screen. But for a single camera deployment or one with a DVR attached, pretty much any display will do. But IMO, the more cameras you add the larger you want the display (four postage stamp-sized images on a six inch display really won't help your driving).

If recording is an option you feel you don't really need, you can stop there. All that's really needed are a camera(s) and capable display.

If you want recording, there are actually a couple of options. The simplest being a small 12v DVR . Most all of these designed for vehicles will record to memory cards. And if your monitor only supports a single input, a multi channel DVR (ie: a security camera recorder) can often expand on the number of supported cameras.

No real point to make here. There are good kits and bad kits out there. It helps to understand the components. And those components can be replaced, upgraded, etc. You may want a larger display, or three cameras of a specific mounting nature. Perhaps you need a recording function. All of these things can be purchased together or separately, added to, upgraded, or expanded upon.

I'm personally not as interested in side views as some folks are (I'm more dependent on the mirrors). I only have rear views for now but it can switch cameras after the trailer is connected (it has it's own camera). But I will be adding cameras to my remote spots when I get them mounted. I'll likely toss in a DVR at that stage so I can monitor thigs from either cab or habitat.

random links
Cameras

Monitors

DVRs

Any 12v DC recorder will work, btw. So if you needed months of security/driving footage recorded or 16 camera input, it's easy to achieve.

Last edited:

Bryteayes

I've owned a few of the really cheap Chinese b/u camera kits and (for the obvious reasons) they never seemed to hold up. The displays are the usual failure point over time but I've even had the actual cameras fail.

For this truck I decided to build my own, There's really not much to these camera systems.
1) camera(s)
3) and an optional recording medium (that can also be used to expand the number of inputs and how they are displayed)

Cameras are pretty generic. Each needs 12v power and a wire to send the image to the display, but that's really it. No moving parts to fail (but they can still die on occasion due to impact or environmental damage). Most cameras output will typically be compatible with RCA/AV connections (and the 4-pin wiring is slowly becoming more the standard). IMO (20 years in IT), I much prefer wired solutions over wireless. Wired is as bit more installation work, but not much (you still have to run power to each camera anyway). Being wired removes a lot of the issues that inherently come with wireless devices/communication (disconnection, signal loss, interference, etc).

Monitors are often where companies cheese it with the cheap stuff in the kits. They tend to be quite small (by my standards) with really poor quality and resolutions. I much preferer a minimum of a 10" display (currently have a 12" monitor for my camera setup). The only caveat to consider with the monitor is the number of inputs the display has (which can dictate the number of cameras supported by simply plugging them in). If a monitor has RCA/AV, HDMI, VGA inputs they can all be used to connect a camera. And depending on the monitor they can often display all the inputs in split screen. But for a single camera deployment or one with a DVR attached, pretty much any display will do. But IMO, the more cameras you add the larger you want the display (four postage stamp-sized images on a six inch display really won't help your driving).

If recording is an option you feel you don't really need, you can stop there. All that's really needed are a camera(s) and capable display.

If you want recording, there are actually a couple of options. The simplest being a small 12v DVR . Most all of these designed for vehicles will record to memory cards. And if your monitor only supports a single input, a multi channel DVR (ie: a security camera recorder) can often expand on the number of supported cameras.

No real point to make here. There are good kits and bad kits out there. It helps to understand the components. And those components can be replaced, upgraded, etc. You may want a larger display, or three cameras of a specific mounting nature. Perhaps you need a recording function. All of these things can be purchased together or separately, added to, upgraded, or expanded upon.

I'm personally not as interested in side views as some folks are (I'm more dependent on the mirrors). I only have rear views for now but it can switch cameras after the trailer is connected (it has it's own camera). But I will be adding cameras to my remote spots when I get them mounted. I'll likely toss in a DVR at that stage so I can monitor thigs from either cab or habitat.

random links

Any 12v DC recorder will work, btw. So if you needed months of security/driving footage recorded or 16 camera input, it's easy to achieve.
great information, thank you

Skyhawk13205

I have a bird's eye 4 cam system, cheap Amazon. The cameras are Sony and great, the screen is crap, the controller is buggy. At least it stitches the 4 videos together in a cool bird eye viewView attachment 910240View attachment 910238View attachment 910239
I have the same system, it works well for me, still need to calibrate the Birds Eye view. I spliced all the trigger wires to the lights so it moves to the camera position. It really helps to reduce the blind spots. I was trying to find a display that has a power over HDMI that is better quality.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same system, it works well for me, still need to calibrate the Birds Eye view. I spliced all the trigger wires to the lights so it moves to the camera position. It really helps to reduce the blind spots. I was trying to find a display that has a power over HDMI that is better quality.
Yeah it's probably not necessary to get power over HDMI as long as you have a second power for your HDMI. And I was also looking for a larger better quality monitor that was much brighter

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter

1) camera(s)

random links
Cameras

Monitors

DVRs

Does the second monitor you linked allow you to display 4 cameras on the screen? Obviously by scrolling through the inputs would allow each camera to be displayed full screen, but can you get all four on the screen?

I have a Garmin Tread XL in my truck, that I like for nav duties on and off road, I have there wireless night vision backup camera that I also like when it works. Problem is, it always decides not work when I need it most. Sometimes it doesn't connect, sometimes the video stalls, which is really dangerous because you think you have room still when you don't. What I do like about the system is that it will display 4 cameras on the screen and you can select which to view full screen by tapping that image. Unfortunately, Garmin didn't see fit to add and option for wired cameras which I think was a huge mis on their part.

Third From Texas

Does the second monitor you linked allow you to display 4 cameras on the screen?
No, not on it's own.

The display allows you to swap between inputs, so you could connect three cameras (one each HDMI, VGA, AV) and switch between them. Some monitors do support split screen (so two cameras could be displayed in that case). Not sure if that monitor has the split screen feature.

But to get a 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, etc split screen you need to incorporate a DVR that can support such a display image.

Think of the monitor as an old "dumb TV". On it's onw, it just shows a single screen image. But when you attach a security system DVR to it, the DVR software is what splits the image and displays the split image on the screen (single, side-by-side, 3x3, 4x4, etc).

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I have there wireless night vision backup camera that I also like when it works. Problem is, it always decides not work when I need it most. Sometimes it doesn't connect, sometimes the video stalls, which is really dangerous because you think you have room still when you don't.
Don't get me started about wireless issues. I was IT for 20 years and I still refuse to incorporate wireless anything when I can avoid it. Just one more thing to break or be interfered with by any one of a million factors (especially in vehicles). Anything with real-time telemetry like cameras are the worst.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did basically the same thing. System includes a nose camera also. The monitor sucks so I need to get a better one but it's nice having a bird's eye view when you need it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks