• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle getting ready to go...

galeo7171

I've been experiencing a loud banging noise going to down road at certain speeds. I've also noticed that when I shift the blazer into neutral the noise gets worse. I changed the ujoints and that didn't help. We've traced the noise and it seems to be coming from the rear end. Its a very loud, metal on metal banging noise.

A 4x4 shop around here quoted me around $500 to rebuild the rear with new ring and pinion, bearings, etc etc etc. I've also noticed that I can order complete new axle assemblies in the crate from colemans.com, and the total with shipping to my house is $515. Would buying the new axle be better than rebuilding the old? Anyone have any experience with colemans? Would the axle sitting in a crate for all these years be a problem?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the cover and look to see the problem. With your description, it should be quite obvious to even a novice mechanic. Also look for chips, etc. in the oil. I suspect the differential spider gear shaft is coming out and hitting the case and pinion. Look to see what damage might be occurring to your gear case and ring gear carrier. If it is a lot, a new axle might be in order. I would not drive it another inch until I checked it out this way.
Regards Marti

tsmall07

If your center pin is coming out like stated above, I'd buy a new axle. That can really break apart the insides of the housing and it wouldn't be worth it to rebuild. Definitely take the cover off to assess the situation.

galeo7171

No lift and stock tires. I plan on keeping it this way, so the 10 bolt should be ok. I figured that $400 for complete new axle is cheap!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not get a used one? Have a take outy in Rockmart GA plus alot of parts reasonably priced.:wink:

SmokeyDod

I've been experiencing a loud banging noise going to down road at certain speeds. I've also noticed that when I shift the blazer into neutral the noise gets worse. I changed the ujoints and that didn't help. We've traced the noise and it seems to be coming from the rear end. Its a very loud, metal on metal banging noise.

A 4x4 shop around here quoted me around $500 to rebuild the rear with new ring and pinion, bearings, etc etc etc. I've also noticed that I can order complete new axle assemblies in the crate from colemans.com, and the total with shipping to my house is $515. Would buying the new axle be better than rebuilding the old? Anyone have any experience with colemans? Would the axle sitting in a crate for all these years be a problem?
My son & I bought some of the brand new rear ends still in wooden crate and would sell one for $350 if you will either pay freight or you can pick up. Just let me know via email or ph 864-313-4450 . I am in upstate SC about 20 miles north west of Greenville,SC Smokey