• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle (Gov Locker)

Iceman3005

I have a real weird one here, maybe someone can shed some light on this. My gov locker was making banging and clucking noises when engaging and disengaging, so I pulled it apart today. I was expecting to see small chunks of metal or a broken spring, ya-know something broken. Well when I split the ring gear assembly apart everything was fine, no teeth broken anywhere:?. I going to reinstall it and see what happens, but I'm really confused:?. Only thing I can think of is maybe it was just binding up..........:?

Cucvnut

Do you have a M1008 or a M1028 if so its not a gov loc its a detroit locker its supposed to make noise. Only M1009's came with gov bombs.

Iceman3005

Do you have a M1008 or a M1028 if so its not a gov loc its a detroit locker its supposed to make noise. Only M1009's came with gov bombs.

I know the locker is supposed to make noise, its a clicking or ratcheting noise not a banging or loud clunking. My other m1008 has a nice clicking noise, the other m1008 was a banging followed by wheel binding up for a second or two before it would turning again.

Iceman3005

I think your right on the detriot locker part though, I have never seen one expect for a pic, simplest darn things I have ever seen. Before I pulled everything apart, with truck in air the right tire would disengage the locker, now the left tire disengages the locker. Looks like this rear end has been taken apart before, could they have put locker in backwards? Is that even possible?

Iceman3005

Fluid was full I usually check it every 3000 miles when I do oil change. All the teeth on ring and pinion were in perfect condition, and all the teeth on the locker were perfect. no shavings or small pieces of metal any were in fluid. Bearings and races were in perfect shape. No play in bearings.
Going to town right now to get rear end cover seal, axle shaft too hub seals and fluid.

kevin-m1008

I think your right on the detriot locker part though, I have never seen one expect for a pic, simplest darn things I have ever seen. Before I pulled everything apart, with truck in air the right tire would disengage the locker, now the left tire disengages the locker. Looks like this rear end has been taken apart before, could they have put locker in backwards? Is that even possible?
It sounds like your locker is working just fine. remember a Detroit drives the slowest moving tire. So when both tires are up in the air you can with your hands unlock (or rotate) one tire by moving it back and forth. This works for either side. of course you cannot unlock both tires at the same time. I have three rigs with Detroits and they all work the same way. But they all make different amount of noise when locking or unlocking while driving.

Iceman3005

I guess I'm not conveying how load this bang is, put it this way take an m-80 light it throw it in a steel can and stick it next too your ear, that's how loud this banging was. When truck was in the air and I was rocking tire back and forth too unlock the locker it would bind the tire were I couldn't move it and would have to go to other tire and rock that one a couple of times to unbind the tire that wouldn't move, would do the same thing when rolling tire one direction to get locker too engage, tire would bind up and wouldn't move. Oh I should mention I did have trans in neutral when performing this test.

kevin-m1008

If the wheel bearings are good also, then it it is just a loud one but it does sound like it is louder then anything I have heard. I do know the older Detroits are louder then the newer ones. The one in my CJ7 that I installed in 1989 is louder and violent at times, then the ones in my M715 which were installed about ~8 years ago.

Iceman3005

Got everything back together, top it off with fluid, did a test drive. Works perfectly now, no loud noises, engages/disengages smoothly:jumpin:! I don't know why but at least I didn't have too buy a new one, that would have been $450.

bushhawg73

I have an 1084 M1008, the transmission has been rebuilt with a hard hitting shift kit. When I say hard shift, I mean it will always bark the inside tire if I am turning when it shifts from 1st to second and about 25% of the time it will do it if I am going in a straight line when the shift occurs. The locker in mine sometime makes a very loud pop or bang sound when driving at slow speeds. It sometimes makes me think I broke somthing. I have never found anything wrong with it in all the years (11) that I have had the truck. I have to say that the 14 bolt setup and the locker are very reliable in my opinion. I hope this helps a little, you are not the only one with greimelins armed with sledge hammers.

richter1978

It's good to here all of this. My 1028 sometimes feels and sounds like I've hit something when the locker acts up. Thought something might be broken.

wayne pick

It's just the nature of the beast, mine gets grumpy when decelerating down hill while making a sharp turn or if there's loose gravel on the blacktop. It's kinda like a crunch, ting-ting sound that a two speed rear end would make while trying to hook up. I stay off the throttle untill it settles down. The first time it happend i was like "OH NO" did some searches here on SS about it and now I almost ignore it. It does get your attention the first couple of times though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks