• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle grease question

palskidoo

Hey guys i did my rear axle seals on the center axle today. I took out the old seals and they were full of lube from the pumpkin leaking down the axle and into the hubs. So i cleaned everything up and replaced the seals with new ones, repacked the bearings and reinstalled the hub. Now my question is hub much grease does the hub need? I took out about 2 handles of old grease from the space between the bearing on the hub and replaced about that much with new grease. Does that seem right? it seems to me that there is a lot of open space between the inner and out bearing and just packing the bearings and putting them back in doesn't seem like enough..... does the whole space between the bearings need to get filled with grease? anyone who has done rear seals please help me out here i feel as though im missing something.

thanks

197thhhc

The extra grease between the bearing will stay where you put it. It wont hurt anything but it wont do much. The bearings need to be completely greased and thats really about it. I usually put a little extra in for peace of mind but then i am a lottle OCD.

palskidoo

the bearings got repacked with new grease and then some more haha but my OCD is kickin in thinking thats not enough.... i did add extra grease to the hub but like you said 197thhhc its not gunna do much. I just want to make sure im not missing a huge piece of the puzzle and have to break down the axle hubs again in the near future.

DieselBob

I have always put some grease in the hub cavity on any vehicle that has grease packed bearings including the deuce. I don't fill the cavity but put a good coating in there just to capture any wear debris and if gear lube or water starts to enter the space it won't wash out the bearings quite as quickly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

palskidoo

when i took it apart only one side had the cork... but to answer the question i put a bead of RTV in the key way. That step was I was sure not to forget! haha

bones1

I think the outer seals are just for looks, just flipped all my hubs yesterday and there is always a very little oil on the shoes no matter how good I think I seal the keyway. The oil is always very little and at the top of the shoes. I also just repack the bearings and do not fill the cavity full of grease.Seems to work fine for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks