• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle popping

benand117

Hey guys I've noticed a quite loud popping coming from what I think is the rear axle when I turn on a hard surface. I've noticed it for a long time but last night it seemed to get louder. Any ideas?

benand117

From what I understand those bearings are the same as the wheel bearings. Can they be removed cleaned and repacked the same way? And is the preload procedure the same?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have someone walk beside the truck, and see if you can pinpoint the sound.

You could have loose wheels , broken rims, bad springs/bolts, bad dogbone ends, bad wheel bearings, or a bad trunnion bearing .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This sound is what we had on Jims truck, swore it was the left side, turned out to be a LOOSE right trunion BEARING, we just tightened like a wheel bearing, same size socket, jack up at the trunion support, use a bar to check for play, if there is tighten

seano11

same thing here when backing up stare and your back tires and see if they are coming out of alignment just a little bit if so it could be your spring pockets are really dry so when the spring is sliding its making a popping noise

sandcobra164

I've got the same issue. I'll check my trunion bearing tightness tomorrow. I read in the TM that you support the mount, ensure that you've greased it, and tighten the inner nut to 75 ft lbs, back off 1/4 turn, install lock washer and outer nut, tighten that one to 150 ft lbs and you should be back in business. I always thought it was the transfer moving around as it sounds like a loud pop right underneath the seat. I suppose it could be further back, I'll post back tomorrow as to what I find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks