• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle seals?

jwaller

yup. thats an leak alright. looks just like mine did when it began. read the TM's or articles and it's an easy fix with some RTV. I didn't bother trying to replace the cork.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would offer a word of advice here on this. Find and remove your axle vent then clean it out thoroughly. A clogged vent can cause the leaks as you see them. This should be done prior to repairing any leaks of the sort.

deuceman51

Recovry4x4 is right. I'm redoing my M211 and I just started to take off my brake and vent lines to inspect them. My middle rear axle vent line was completely plugged. I mean the entire 1/2 line was plugged solid. If they are plugged and your differentials can't breathe then the pressure tends to push outward and through your seals. Everyone should inspect their vent lines as they are for more than just going underwater with the truck.

eddiec

strangely enough, when i got mine home, mine were leaking, along with the wheel cylinders, but when i took mine apart to replace everything, i found that the seals were not installed fully, just pushed on by hand. after installing mine, small hammer and a piece of pipe that fit it, they have not leaked a drop since.

m35a2cowner

Wheel Leak

Add this to everyone else's good advice, check to see if the leak looks as it is coming out the brake drum(rear). From the first picture it looks as if the axle seal (outer end) might be leaking or leaking from the axle being loose (something rare but easily checked) I didn't see a drip from the backing plate in the second picture so its possible the cork seal is not leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks