• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Bearings

DerangedMadman

I changeds the brakes on my M1008 today all the way around. This is my first time working on one either of these types of axles so I have a question on the rear.

When I took the hub off the bearings were being lubricated by gear oil from the axle. Is this supposed to be this way or should the bearings be packed with grease like the fronts?

It's a wet bearing setup. No need to pack with grease. (Page 2-24 in the -20 TM) I dipped mine in gear oil when I reassembled after doing the brakes and changing the rearend fluid a couple weeks ago.

Keep a sharp eye on the fluid level in the rear end. I checked/added fluid to mine every day (daily driver) for a few days afterwards.

Wolf.Dose

Rear axle bearing usually last as long as the seals. That means some 150,000 miles or more. This requires a propper oil level in the rear axle. Rear axle oil shuld be changed every 20000 mies. Do not forget the additive for the limeted slip diff!
Wolf

MadWooter

Gear oil should definitely be present around the bearings. However, I wasn't aware that the rear required any sort of additive to the oil, given that it is not really a limited-slip setup. I know Posis require an additive because they use a clutch setup, but I didn't think the Detroit locker needed anything special.

OL AG '89

Read the TM!!!!!
It tells which rear end requires the additive and which do not.
Add to the wrong rear end and you be rebuilding more than you want to!!

TM 9-2320-289-20
U N I T M A I N T E N A N C E M A N U A L

BY reading the appropriate section BEFORE you start the project. I can guarantee you will save time and MONEY and even a little aggravation!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks