• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear brake lines Zip tied y?

Heavysteven

Ok, replaced the brake lines in the rear. Why are they zip tied to the dog bones in the rear. Is this a requirement?

Side note pedal stops 2.5" from floor correct?

Jake0147

Zip ties are legit, correct, and required. Make sure they're good ones, lots of the ones you see are plasticky and brittle, and won't stay.

My brakes are apart right now, or I'd check with a tape. A good brake pedal (with the air fully charged) stops under firm (heavy) application just a hair above half way down. It will progressively fall as the shoes wear, and will rise again with adjustment. You can get it better than that, but that's just splitting hairs and is not realistic to maintain.

It should be firm all the way. If it's at all spongy, that indicates air, and that must be corrected before any concern is given to the actual pedal travel, as it will necessarily be lower than it should be when it's applied.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, adjust the brakes to bring up the peddle. Adjust the bottom first then the top. A short cut I was introduced to was .015 all the way around.

Katahdin

My 109A3 came with rusty thumb screw hose clamps around the dog bones. It's a 66, rebuilt in 85, that's what they might have have been using before Zip ties were more common. When I replaced my lines I used Zip ties.

Heavysteven

Update, flushed the system again, adjusted the pedal, and replace the broken brake pedal spring. Pedal feels great. I am so happy knowing my brake system is perfect.:beer: